Panel Structure vs. Solid Rod Structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the stiffness of panel vs. solid rod structures, specifically in a scenario where two equally sized and weighted cubes are compared. It is suggested that the panel structure would be stiffer due to the support provided by each panel, while the rod structure is only supported at the ends. There is also mention of determining the deformation of the cubes under a vertical load and the potential of a monocoque vs spaceframe construction. It is noted that the proper hollow box design would be stiffer due to the need for cross bracing in a cube. The concept of resisting bending is mentioned, with the idea that a stiff structure should ideally have no members experiencing bending.
blixxa
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about panel vs. solid rod structures.

Assume a two cubes of equal dimension and weight.

Cube 1 is made of panels, ie. a hollow cube.

Cube 2 is made with solid rod

Material is linear elastic

Which would be stiffer?

I think the panel structure would be the stiffer structure because each panel is supported by another resisting bending. In the rod structure, the rod is only supported at the ends.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Futher to this,

I have forgotten a lot from my engineering degree,

How would you work out the deformation of the cube under a verticle load?

I think I can do it for the rod structure but not the panel structure.

Cheers

As with all things, it depends on the exact materiel and construction.

It appears you are describing a monocoque vs spaceframe. The stressed skin has the potential to have much higher stiffness to weight ratio.
If it's just a box, with 12 structural members along the edges, the proper hollow box will be stiffer. This is because a cube would need to be cross braced.The 'resisting bending' idea is the right concept but wrong direction. For a stiff structure you ideally want no member experiencing any bending, so any 'bending' is eventually taken by a member in tension or compression.

Last edited:

Related to Panel Structure vs. Solid Rod Structure

1. What is the difference between panel structure and solid rod structure?

Panel structure refers to a structural design where the load-bearing elements are large, flat panels made of materials such as wood, steel, or concrete. Solid rod structure, on the other hand, uses solid rods or bars as the main structural support.

2. Which type of structure is stronger?

This depends on the specific design and materials used. Generally, panel structures are considered to be stronger due to their larger surface area and ability to distribute loads more evenly. However, solid rod structures can also be strong if designed and constructed properly.

3. What are the advantages of using a panel structure?

Panel structures have several advantages, including their strength and stability, as well as their ability to be easily prefabricated and assembled on-site. They also allow for more versatile and creative designs, as panels can be cut and shaped into various forms.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a solid rod structure?

One potential disadvantage of solid rod structures is their limited flexibility in terms of design. The use of straight rods can also create weak points at the joints, which must be carefully considered in the design process.

5. Which type of structure is more cost-effective?

Again, this depends on the specific project and materials used. In general, panel structures tend to be more cost-effective, as they can be prefabricated and easily assembled on-site. However, solid rod structures may be more cost-effective for smaller or simpler structures.