How can I write a 5 page paper on the origin of the solar system?

In summary: TLESUN. In summary, the student is worried about the weekend and whether they will have enough textbooks. They are also worried about the due date for their astronomy paper. They have prepared by reading books on the subject, gathering information from online sources, and looking at examples from other students' papers. They are also aware of the large gap in knowledge between them and more experienced writers, and are open to advice from others.
SolarSystHelp
Today I told my astronomy teacher I would like to write my 5 page paper, that is due Monday, on the origin of the solar system. I am in no way one of the best writers out there and have no clue on how I could write 5 pages about this.
Hopefully someone here can give me some helpfull input on reaching 5 pages, or a possible outline of ideas.

-Worried Student

Astronomy news on Phys.org
over this weekend? have you got textbooks?

Prepare how you will develope your story about this momentus event. Your first page (like the first stage of development of the system) should consider the background of the materials that make up our solar system (remember to include the original star that elploded that produced the elements above H and He. Describe how the super-nova close by produced the elements above Fe. show how the area we are in must have been in a nebula of some kind. use photos and descriptions from the Star Nurseries work done by the HST. PAGE 1 done!

Page 2 should describe how the dense cloud of dust formed the star and planets that we have (but be careful to include information about where the planets were created AS WELL AS where they ended up. Explain aglomeration theories and planetary building. This is PAGE 2.

Page 3 should be a carry on of the previous work and explanations about individual planetary foramtion as well as moon formation (or capture in some cases). Explain or describe the distances of the planets from the son and what that relationship might mean. Page 3 done.

Page 4 Talk about the other items in the solar system that do not fit into clean nice catagories (asteroid belts, Keiper belt Objects, the Oort Cloud). Explain impactors and how they continue to change and develope the system. Descibe where the impactors come from and how they are created. Use the Shoemaker-Levi 9 episode as an example. Page 4 done.

Page 5 will conclude what you have written. Explain how you interpret these events and how you feel they will effect the system in the future. Give several possible scenarios of what may happen to the system as our sun ages. Give your conclusions and give props to those who have helped you so your teacher recognizes you are smart enough to ask for help when you need it. :-) good luck, BAT

1. What is the current scientific understanding of how the solar system formed?

The current scientific understanding is that the solar system formed approximately 4.6 billion years ago from a giant molecular cloud of gas and dust. As the cloud collapsed due to its own gravity, it began to spin faster and flatten into a disk. The center of the disk became the Sun, while the remaining material coalesced into planets, moons, and other objects.

2. What role did gravity play in the formation of the solar system?

Gravity played a crucial role in the formation of the solar system. As the cloud of gas and dust collapsed, the force of gravity caused the material to clump together and form larger and larger objects. Eventually, the force of gravity also caused the material to flatten into a disk, which allowed for the formation of the planets and other objects.

3. How do scientists explain the difference in composition between the inner and outer planets?

The inner planets, including Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars, are primarily composed of rocky material and are relatively small in size. On the other hand, the outer planets, including Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, are much larger and composed mostly of gas and ice. This is due to the temperature differences in the early solar system, with the inner region being too hot for gas to condense and the outer region being cooler and allowing for the formation of gas giants.

4. What evidence supports the theory of the solar system's formation?

There are several lines of evidence that support the theory of the solar system's formation. One is the observation of other planetary systems around other stars, which show similar patterns of planets orbiting in a disk. Additionally, the composition of the planets and their positions in the solar system align with what would be expected from the formation of a disk of gas and dust. The study of meteorites, which are remnants of the early solar system, also provides valuable information about the formation process.

5. What ongoing research is being conducted to further our understanding of the solar system's origin?

There are many ongoing research efforts aimed at furthering our understanding of the solar system's origin. This includes studying other planetary systems, analyzing data from space missions, and conducting laboratory experiments to simulate the conditions of the early solar system. Additionally, advances in technology and instrumentation allow for more detailed observations and data collection, which can provide new insights into the formation process.