Parabola or an ellipse?

In summary: However, the equation you have is for a 2-D curve, so it is unlikely to describe the surface. You would need more information to determine the equation of the surface.In summary, the equation y= sqrt(1296-x^2) represents the upper half of a circle of radius 36, but may not match the image provided. It is unlikely to be the equation for the surface of the structure, as it only describes a 2-D curve. More information is needed to determine the equation of the surface.
don1231915
Parabola or an ellipse??

Homework Statement

I have a curved structure which looks like this:
http://imageupload.org/pt-1412920046522.html

I haven't been told specifically what it is.
I assumed it to be ½ellipse. It has a height of 36m. So, I also found out the equation y= sqrt(1296-x^2).
Could this also be a parabola? If so, how would I find the equation when I only know the following things:
height - 36 m
It has a rectangular base 150m long and 72m wide.

I just want to know if I am right with the half ellipse?

PLEASE HELP

THANKS

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

don1231915 said:

Homework Statement

I have a curved structure which looks like this:
http://imageupload.org/pt-1412920046522.html

I haven't been told specifically what it is.
I assumed it to be ½ellipse. It has a height of 36m. So, I also found out the equation y= sqrt(1296-x^2).
Could this also be a parabola? If so, how would I find the equation when I only know the following things:
height - 36 m
It has a rectangular base 150m long and 72m wide.

I just want to know if I am right with the half ellipse?
The equation you show represents the upper half of a circle of radius 36, centered at the origin. You can get this by squaring both sides of the equation you have, resulting in x2 + y2 = 1296, with y >= 0. This equation doesn't appear to match the image you uploaded, although if the image is stretched in the vertical direction, that would make the vertical cross section look like a half ellipse rather than a half circle.

The roof of the structure (as opposed to the vertical cross section) is a surface in three dimensions. The surface in the image might be an elliptic cylinder or a parabolic cylinder, two kinds of surfaces in 3-D space.

1. What is the difference between a parabola and an ellipse?

A parabola is a type of conic section that has one focus point and a directrix line, while an ellipse is a closed curve with two focal points. The shape of a parabola is similar to a U-shape, while an ellipse is more oval or circular in shape.

2. How are parabolas and ellipses used in real-world applications?

Parabolas and ellipses have a variety of real-world applications. Parabolas are commonly used in the design of satellite dishes, car headlights, and suspension bridges. Ellipses are used in the design of celestial orbits, planetary motion, and in the construction of elliptical-shaped buildings.

3. How do you graph a parabola or an ellipse?

To graph a parabola, you need to know the coordinates of the focus point and directrix line. To graph an ellipse, you need to know the coordinates of the two focal points and the length of the major and minor axes. Once you have this information, you can plot the points and connect them to create the curve.

4. What are the standard forms for writing the equations of a parabola and an ellipse?

The standard form for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. The standard form for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

5. Can a parabola or an ellipse have a negative coefficient?

Yes, both a parabola and an ellipse can have a negative coefficient in their equations. The coefficient determines the shape and direction of the curve. For example, a negative coefficient in a parabola's equation indicates that the parabola opens downwards, while a negative coefficient in an ellipse's equation indicates that the ellipse is horizontally stretched.