Parachutist problemNeed help where to begin

• Thread starter platonas1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that the free-fall velocity of a parachutist can be simulated as du/dt=g-Cd/m u^2, where u = velocity (m/s) t = time (s), g = acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2), and Cd = drag coefficient (kg/m). However, at t = 10s the chute opens, whereupon Cd = 5 kg/m.
platonas1
Here is the problem.

The free-fall velocity of a parachutist can be simulated as

du/dt=g-Cd/m u^2

where u = velocity (m/s) t= time (s)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2).
Cd = drag coefficient (kg/m),
and m = mass (kg).
For a 80-kg parachutist, solve this equation numerically from t = 0 to 30 s given that u(0) = 0. During free fall, Cd = 0.25 kg/m. However, at t = 10 s the chute opens, whereupon Cd = 5 kg/m.

Please help! from were I should start solving this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two comments:

1. In your class have you discussed numerical techniques to solve differential equations?

2. Hint: think of it as two separate problems, one from t=0 to 10s and the second from t=10s to 30s. Care must be taken as to the initial conditions of each problem.

hotvette said:
Two comments:

1. In your class have you discussed numerical techniques to solve differential equations?

2. Hint: think of it as two separate problems, one from t=0 to 10s and the second from t=10s to 30s. Care must be taken as to the initial conditions of each problem.

Thank you for your reply,

Here is my situation,

I am at 2nd year of mechanical engineering. Due to economical and family problems I couldn’t attend classes for this year, so I took numerical analysis lesson as independent study. I am quite familiar with differential equations but not with numerical methods. My teacher told me that he needs from me not to solve differential equations by hand, but use of Matlab or Octave to solve "typical engineering problems». Like the problem above which I am very confused with it, I must solve it using Matlab, either way I spend more than 3 days of continuous reading trying to solve it also by hand with no luck.

Thank you for your support.

Perhaps the following example has enough info that you can see how to enter your problem into MATLAB:

http://www.mit.edu/people/abbe/matlab/ode.html

(Found by googling matlab differential equation solving, maybe you can find other useful info there)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the "Parachutist problem"?

The "Parachutist problem" is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the velocity and position of a parachutist as they fall from a plane and experience air resistance.

What information is needed to solve the "Parachutist problem"?

To solve the "Parachutist problem", you will need to know the initial velocity of the parachutist, the mass of the parachutist, the air resistance force, and the acceleration due to gravity.

What are the key equations used to solve the "Parachutist problem"?

The key equations used to solve the "Parachutist problem" are the equations of motion, which include the velocity equation (v = u + at) and the displacement equation (s = ut + 0.5at^2).

What are some common assumptions made when solving the "Parachutist problem"?

Some common assumptions made when solving the "Parachutist problem" include assuming that the parachutist is falling in a straight line, that their mass remains constant, and that air resistance is proportional to velocity.

What are some real-world applications of the "Parachutist problem"?

The "Parachutist problem" has real-world applications in fields such as skydiving, base jumping, and air traffic control. It is also used in physics education to teach principles of motion and air resistance.