Parallel Axis Theorem homework

In summary: So the equation for the total moment of inertia is:I_tot = 1/3ML^2 + M(L-x)^2= 1/3ML^2 + M(L^2 - 2Lx + x^2)From here, it is easy to see that:I = Icm + MD^2Mike= Icm + MD^2(L-x)= Icm + MD^2(L^2 - 2Lx + x^2)
Zem
Inertia - Parallel Axis Theorem

Two spheres with masses M and m are connected by a rigid rod of length L and negligible mass as in Figure 10.22 (M is on the left end and m is on the right end). For an axis perpendicular to the rod, show that the system has the minimum moment of intertia when the axis passes through the center of mass. (The center of mass is halfway between the center and the left end. And x is the distance from the left end to the center of mass.) Show that this moment of intertia is I = uL^2, where u = mM/(m + M).

If you have Physics for Scientists and Engineers, by Serway, this is #22 on p. 324.

I'm having trouble with the parallel axis theorem. The rod alone has
I = 1/3ML^2 with the axis passing through its end. I'm not sure how the spheres change the formula for intertia. So I have tried to set it up as I would for a rod with no spheres, and the axis passing through the end. And using the parallel axis theorem, I've come up with this..
I_tot = 1/3ML^2 + M(L-x)^2
= 1/3ML^2 + M(L^2 - 2Lx + x^2)

From here, I'm lost. I have no idea how that could lead to I = mML^2/(m + M), as the book is suggesting in the problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

~Zem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you must remeber that the parallel-axis theroem states that I = Icm + MD^2

Mike,
D = (L - x) in this problem.

Zem said:
Two spheres with masses M and m are connected by a rigid rod of length L and negligible mass as in Figure 10.22
~Zem
This problem is not about the moment of inertia of a rod. The massless rod is doing nothing more than holding the two spheres at a fixed separation L. Since the sphere radii are not given, you must assume all of the mass is to be considered located at the centers of the spheres.

What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a principle in physics that states the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any given axis is equal to the moment of inertia of the body about a parallel axis passing through the center of mass of the body, plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the perpendicular distance between the two axes.

When is the Parallel Axis Theorem used?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is used in situations where the axis of rotation is not passing through the center of mass of the object. This is often the case when studying the rotational motion of objects in real-world scenarios.

What is the formula for the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The formula for the Parallel Axis Theorem is I = Icm + md2, where I is the moment of inertia about the given axis, Icm is the moment of inertia about the parallel axis passing through the center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and d is the distance between the two axes.

How do I apply the Parallel Axis Theorem to a real-world scenario?

In order to apply the Parallel Axis Theorem to a real-world scenario, you will need to identify the axis of rotation and calculate the moment of inertia about that axis. Then, you will need to calculate the moment of inertia about the parallel axis passing through the center of mass and add it to the product of the mass and the square of the perpendicular distance between the two axes.

What are the practical applications of the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It is commonly used to design structures and machines that have rotating parts, such as cars, airplanes, and wind turbines. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to understand and improve the performance of athletes.