Parallel Circuits - Joining 2 branches together

In summary: Hello wolfsloth, :welcome:I see two pictures of the new situation: one has 4.0 ##\Omega## and the other 1 ##\Omega## on the right. You continue with the 1 ##\Omega##, as if the 3 ##\Omega## is absent.The points B and E are joined by a wire. A wire (in most exercises) has no resistance, so the potential on one end is the same as on the other end. I e. both the 3 and the 1 'see' the same potential difference: they are effectively in parallel, just like the 2 and the 4 on the left.Also, if you refer to part
wolfsloth

Homework Statement

photo_2018_04_08_13_26_25.jpg

I'm stuck at part (b)

Homework Equations

V = IR (ohm's law)

V1 = (R1 / (R1 + R2) ) * V (potential divider)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by thinking which direction conventional current would flow.

I concluded that the potential at B will be higher than the potential at E, so the current will flow from B to E. Thus, the current will not flow through the 3 Ω resistor.

This was the new circuit diagram I drew (where I thought the current would flow now):
photo_2018_04_08_13_32_20.jpg

However, the answers I got for PD across AB and DE were wrong.

So I think my concept of the direction of current flow is wrong.

Attachments

• photo_2018_04_08_13_26_25.jpg
    photo_2018_04_08_13_26_25.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 948
  • photo_2018_04_08_13_32_20.jpg
    photo_2018_04_08_13_32_20.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello wolfsloth, :welcome:

I see two pictures of the new situation: one has 4.0 ##\Omega## and the other 1 ##\Omega## on the right. You continue with the 1 ##\Omega##, as if the 3 ##\Omega## is absent.
wolfsloth said:
I concluded that the potential at B will be higher than the potential at E
The points B and E are joined by a wire. A wire (in most exercises) has no resistance, so the potential on one end is the same as on the other end. I e. both the 3 and the 1 'see' the same potential difference: they are effectively in parallel, just like the 2 and the 4 on the left.

I would forget about trying to work out where currents are going for the moment. Instead try and simplify the circuit first. On the left you have a 2R and a 4R in parallel. On the right you have a 3R and 1R in parallel. Replace the 2R//4R with one equivalent resistor. Replace the 3R//1R with another equivalent resistor. Redraw the new circuit.

BvU said:

I see two pictures of the new situation: one has 4.0 ##\Omega## and the other 1 ##\Omega## on the right. You continue with the 1 ##\Omega##, as if the 3 ##\Omega## is absent.
The points B and E are joined by a wire. A wire (in most exercises) has no resistance, so the potential on one end is the same as on the other end. I e. both the 3 and the 1 'see' the same potential difference: they are effectively in parallel, just like the 2 and the 4 on the left.
CWatters said:
I would forget about trying to work out where currents are going for the moment. Instead try and simplify the circuit first. On the left you have a 2R and a 4R in parallel. On the right you have a 3R and 1R in parallel. Replace the 2R//4R with one equivalent resistor. Replace the 3R//1R with another equivalent resistor. Redraw the new circuit.

Hi everyone, thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, seeing the two resistors on the left as connected in parallel and the two resistors on the right as connected in parallel gives me the wrong answer :(

Here are my workings:

circuit3.jpg

Correct answer should be 0.8V for PD across AB and 1.6V for PD across DE

Attachments

• circuit3.jpg
    circuit3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 376
BvU said:

Also, if you refer to part (ii), there is a potential difference across points B and E :O

photo_2018_04_08_13_26_17.jpg

Attachments

• photo_2018_04_08_13_26_17.jpg
    photo_2018_04_08_13_26_17.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 348
wolfsloth said:
Correct answer should be 0.8V for PD across AB and 1.6V for PD across DE
Your working is correct. There must be something wrong with the book answer -- it can not be that the two answers differ.

+1

I agree. Your working is 100% correct. There is definitely something wrong with the question and/or the answer.

With BE joined the voltage AB and DE should be the same. That's because nodes A and D are connected together and B and E are connected together.

The 0.8 V for AB and 1.6 V for DE are the values before B and E are joined by a wire.

So I suspect the line ' (b) The points B and E are now joined by a wire ' is misplaced and should have been on the next page

Likes CWatters

1. How does a parallel circuit differ from a series circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in such a way that there are multiple paths for the current to flow. In contrast, a series circuit has only one path for the current to flow.

2. What happens to the voltage and current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each branch remains the same, while the current is divided among the branches. This means that the total current in the circuit is equal to the sum of the currents in each individual branch.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated by adding the reciprocals of the individual resistances and then taking the reciprocal of that sum. This can be expressed as: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. Why are parallel circuits commonly used in household wiring?

Parallel circuits are commonly used in household wiring because they allow for each individual appliance or light to have its own separate circuit. This means that if one appliance or light malfunctions, it will not affect the functioning of the other appliances or lights in the circuit.

5. Can you add an unlimited number of branches to a parallel circuit?

Technically, yes, you can add an unlimited number of branches to a parallel circuit. However, as you add more branches, the total resistance of the circuit decreases, which can cause an increase in current and potentially overload the circuit. Therefore, it is important to carefully plan and design the circuit to prevent this from happening.