Parallel plate capacitor find the volts

In summary, a parallel-plate capacitor with only air between the plates is charged by connecting it to a battery. When a dielectric is inserted between the plates, completely filling the space, the voltmeter reads 11.5 V. The dielectric constant of this material is 4.35. If the dielectric is pulled partway out so it fills only one-third of the space between the plates, the voltage across each capacitor must be the same, so the voltmeter would read 7.7 V. This can be determined by thinking of the capacitor as two capacitors in parallel connected to a battery and using Kirchoff's Loop Law.
sonrie
A parallel-plate capacitor with only air between the plates is charged by connecting it to a battery. The capacitor is then disconnected from the battery, without any of the charge leaving the plates.

A.) A voltmeter reads 50.0 V when placed across the capacitor. When a dielectric is inserted between the plates, completely filling the space, the voltmeter reads 11.5 V .

What is the dielectric constant of this material? If found the answer to the first part which was K= 4.35.

B.) What will the voltmeter read if the dielectric is now pulled partway out so it fills only one-third of the space between the plates?

This is the part i can't get, i know C=Q/V and also that C1 + C2 = Ceq, how to do go about finding the this part B ?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Think of this as two capacitors in parallel hooked up to the same battery. Now, remember Kirchoff's Loop Law?

How come C = C1 + C2. They are in series.

Hi atavistic,

I don't think that's right. In this case, with the dielectric pulled out so that it only fills one third of the space, the part of the capacitor with dielectric and the part without dielectric can be thought of a two capacitors in parallel.

(The difference between using series and parallel is whether the air/dielectric boundary is perpendicular to the plates, as it is here; or if the boundary is parallel to the plates, in which case you can think of two capacitors in series.)

so i use C= q/V to and solve for V?

sonrie said:
so i use C= q/V to and solve for V?

You shouldn't even need to do that. We know that the capacitor with the 1/3 dielectric can be treated as two capacitors in parallel connected to a battery. Draw the circuit diagram for this situation. What MUST the voltage across each capacitor be?

shouldn't it be 7.7 because when the dielectric is completely fills the space it reads 11.5 so then if we pull 1/3 of it out then 2/3 is still fills the space so 11.5/3=3.83, 3.83 *2= 7.7. I know its wrong but is my assumption wrong as well?

sonrie said:
shouldn't it be 7.7 because when the dielectric is completely fills the space it reads 11.5 so then if we pull 1/3 of it out then 2/3 is still fills the space so 11.5/3=3.83, 3.83 *2= 7.7. I know its wrong but is my assumption wrong as well?

Yes, your assumption is wrong.

Your not following my advice. Are you thinking about the capacitor as now being two capacitors in parallel? Have you drawn the circuit diagram for two capacitors in parallel? What is the voltage across those two capacitors in the circuit (and thus your real capacitor) if they are hooked up to that battery of yours? HINT: Think Kirchoff's loop law.

when there hooked up together the volt reads 50, when dielectric is put in volts reads 11.5 so a difference of 38.5 Volts. Does this have anything to do to get the answer?

Finally Got it! Thanks

1. How do you calculate the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor?

The voltage of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one of the plates by the capacitance of the capacitor. The formula for this is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance.

2. What factors affect the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor?

The voltage of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the size of the plates, and the material between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the voltage decreases. As the size of the plates increases, the voltage increases. The type of material between the plates can also affect the voltage, with materials that have a higher dielectric constant resulting in a higher voltage.

3. How does the charge on the plates affect the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor?

The voltage of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the charge on the plates. This means that as the charge on the plates increases, the voltage also increases. Similarly, as the charge decreases, so does the voltage.

4. Can the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor be negative?

Yes, the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor can be negative. This can occur when the charge on one of the plates is negative and the charge on the other plate is positive. The voltage will be negative if the negative charge is larger than the positive charge.

5. How do you measure the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor?

The voltage of a parallel plate capacitor can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the two plates of the capacitor, and the voltage reading will be displayed on the voltmeter. It is important to make sure the voltmeter is set to the correct range for accurate measurement.