Parallel resonance LC circuit question?

In summary, at resonance frequency, the circuit impedance is maximum. It is resistive and its value is given L/Cr.
uzair_ha91
"At resonance frequency, the circuit impedance is maximum. It is resistive and its value is given L/Cr..."
The book doesn't explain how impedance equals L/Cr, so I'm confused here. How is it derived?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here are the basic equations for a parallel L and C, and no resistance. (w = 2 pi f)

1/Z = 1/jwL + jwC = jwC - j/wL = j(w2LC-1)/wL

So Z = jwL/(1-w2LC)

When LC=1/w2, Z= infinity

[Edit] If you also have a parallel resistor such that

1/Z = 1/jwL + jwC +1/R. then

Z =~ R at resonance.

Last edited:
But what about Z=L/C*R where R is the resistance of the coil if we don't neglect it?

How do we get that?

uzair_ha91 said:
But what about Z=L/C*R where R is the resistance of the coil if we don't neglect it?
Exactly right.
Using the same equations I posted earlier, , and the inductance has a small series resistance R, then

1/Z = 1/(jwL + R) + jwC

et cetera (like in prev. post), leading to (at LC resonance)

Z= (jwL + R)/jwCR.

If R<< jwL, then Z = jwL/jwCR = L/CR

(note: L/C has units ohms2. so L/CR has units ohms)

:-) Thanks!

uh, can you tell me why/how j2=-1?

Actually I'm studying high school physics so I'm studying the equations without the "j" operator or whatever it is..

By definiton, j = sqrt(-1). So, obviously, j2 = -1 since that's the inverse operation. It's just the imaginary number; in mathematics sqrt(-1) = i. EEs like to use j because i already means current.

uzair_ha91 said:
uh, can you tell me why/how j2=-1?

Actually I'm studying high school physics so I'm studying the equations without the "j" operator or whatever it is..
Hi uzair
There is a real physical basis for j2 = -1. As I showed in an earlier post, the time derivitaves of a circular function V(ωt) = V0 sin(ωt) are

d V(ωt)/dt = ω V0 cos(ωt) = jω V(ωt)

d2 V(ωt)/dt2 = -ω2 V0 sin(ωt) = (jω)2 V(ωt) = j2 ω2 V(ωt) = -ω2 V(ωt)

So you can see in red the shorthand notation for a 90 degree phase shift caused by taking the time derivative, and why j2 = -1.
Bob S

Sorry for the bump, but I'm working on the problem including the series R with L, and can't seem to figure out how to derive the resonance frequency w_o in that case. Wikipedia lists it as w_0 = sqrt((1/LC) - (R/L)^2), where the impedance is only real.

I have the equation Zin = (R + jwL)/(jwRC-w^2*LC+1), which I have rearranged as

Zin = ((L/C) - jR(w/C))/(R + j(wL - 1/wc))

When I split up the fractions in the rearranged form, I can easily see where the 1/LC term comes from in w_0, but I'm having difficulty seeing how the (R/L)^2 term is derived. Any advice would be appreciated.

Use Zin = -(R + jωL)/(1 + ω2LC -jωRC)

and multiply both numerator and denominator by 1 + ω2LC +jωRC

This will get the j out of the denominator. The denominator will be (1 + ω2LC)2 + (ωRC)2.

Bob S

1. What is a parallel resonance LC circuit?

A parallel resonance LC (inductance-capacitance) circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a capacitor and an inductor connected in parallel. It has a resonant frequency at which the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum, resulting in a high current flow.

2. How does a parallel resonance LC circuit work?

In a parallel resonance LC circuit, the capacitor stores energy in its electric field, while the inductor stores energy in its magnetic field. When the circuit reaches its resonant frequency, the energy oscillates back and forth between the capacitor and inductor, resulting in a high current flow through the circuit.

3. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel resonance LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a parallel resonance LC circuit is calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is the resonant frequency in hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in henries (H), and C is the capacitance in farads (F).

4. What are the applications of parallel resonance LC circuits?

Parallel resonance LC circuits have many practical applications, including in radio and television receivers, electronic filters, and in power systems for voltage regulation and power factor correction.

5. How can I calculate the impedance of a parallel resonance LC circuit?

The impedance of a parallel resonance LC circuit is calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where Z is the impedance in ohms (Ω), R is the resistance in ohms (Ω), Xl is the inductive reactance in ohms (Ω), and Xc is the capacitive reactance in ohms (Ω). The inductive and capacitive reactance can be calculated using the formulas Xl = 2πfL and Xc = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in henries (H), and C is the capacitance in farads (F).