Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel resonance LC circuit question?

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    "At resonance frequency, the circuit impedance is maximum. It is resistive and its value is given L/Cr..."
    The book doesn't explain how impedance equals L/Cr, so I'm confused here. How is it derived?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
  4. Sep 1, 2009 #3
    Here are the basic equations for a parallel L and C, and no resistance. (w = 2 pi f)

1/Z = 1/jwL + jwC = jwC - j/wL = j(w2LC-1)/wL

So Z = jwL/(1-w2LC)

When LC=1/w2, Z= infinity

[Edit] If you also have a parallel resistor such that

1/Z = 1/jwL + jwC +1/R. then

Z =~ R at resonance.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    But what about Z=L/C*R where R is the resistance of the coil if we don't neglect it?

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5
    How do we get that?

7. Sep 1, 2009 #6
    Exactly right.
    Using the same equations I posted earlier, , and the inductance has a small series resistance R, then

1/Z = 1/(jwL + R) + jwC

et cetera (like in prev. post), leading to (at LC resonance)

Z= (jwL + R)/jwCR.

If R<< jwL, then Z = jwL/jwCR = L/CR

(note: L/C has units ohms2. so L/CR has units ohms)

8. Sep 1, 2009 #7
    :-) Thanks!

9. Sep 3, 2009 #8
    uh, can you tell me why/how j2=-1?

Actually I'm studying high school physics so I'm studying the equations without the "j" operator or whatever it is..

10. Sep 3, 2009 #9

negitron

Science Advisor

By definiton, j = sqrt(-1). So, obviously, j2 = -1 since that's the inverse operation. It's just the imaginary number; in mathematics sqrt(-1) = i. EEs like to use j because i already means current.

11. Sep 3, 2009 #10
    Hi uzair
    There is a real physical basis for j2 = -1. As I showed in an earlier post, the time derivitaves of a circular function V(ωt) = V0 sin(ωt) are

d V(ωt)/dt = ω V0 cos(ωt) = jω V(ωt)

d2 V(ωt)/dt2 = -ω2 V0 sin(ωt) = (jω)2 V(ωt) = j2 ω2 V(ωt) = -ω2 V(ωt)

So you can see in red the shorthand notation for a 90 degree phase shift caused by taking the time derivative, and why j2 = -1.
    Bob S

12. Dec 4, 2010 #11
    Sorry for the bump, but I'm working on the problem including the series R with L, and can't seem to figure out how to derive the resonance frequency w_o in that case. Wikipedia lists it as w_0 = sqrt((1/LC) - (R/L)^2), where the impedance is only real.

I have the equation Zin = (R + jwL)/(jwRC-w^2*LC+1), which I have rearranged as

Zin = ((L/C) - jR(w/C))/(R + j(wL - 1/wc))

When I split up the fractions in the rearranged form, I can easily see where the 1/LC term comes from in w_0, but I'm having difficulty seeing how the (R/L)^2 term is derived. Any advice would be appreciated.

13. Dec 4, 2010 #12
    Use Zin = -(R + jωL)/(1 + ω2LC -jωRC)

and multiply both numerator and denominator by 1 + ω2LC +jωRC

This will get the j out of the denominator. The denominator will be (1 + ω2LC)2 + (ωRC)2.

Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook