Parallel Transport of a Tensor: Understand Equation

In summary, the equation for parallel transport of a tensor is given by ##T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots j_{r}, k}^{i_{1} i_{2} \ldots i_{s}}+\sum_{m=1}^{s} T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots j_{r}}^{i_{1} i_{2} \ldots p_{m} \ldots i_{s}} \Gamma_{p_{m} k}^{i_{m}}-\sum_{n=1}^{r} T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots q_{n} \ldots j_{r}}^{
AndersF
TL;DR Summary
Understanding the equation for a tensor to be parallel-transported
According to my book, the equation that should meet a vector ##\mathbf{v}=v^i\mathbf{e}_i## in order to be parallel-transported in a manifold is:

##v_{, j}^{i}+v^{k} \Gamma_{k j}^{i}=0##

Where ##v_{, j}^i## stands for ##\partial{v^i}{\partial y^j}##, that is, the partial derivative of the component ##v^i## of ##\mathbf{v}## with respect to the general coordinate ##y^j##. I see that there is a sum in ##k## form 1 to ##n##, and that this equation must be meet for all ##i,j=1,2,...,n##, being ##n## the dimenssion of the manifold.

However, I find it difficult to understand how to read this formula describing the condition for parallel transport of a tensor:

##T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots j_{r}, k}^{i_{1} i_{2} \ldots i_{s}}+\sum_{m=1}^{s} T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots j_{r}}^{i_{1} i_{2} \ldots p_{m} \ldots i_{s}} \Gamma_{p_{m} k}^{i_{m}}-\sum_{n=1}^{r} T_{j_{1} j_{2} \ldots q_{n} \ldots j_{r}}^{i_{1} i_{2} \ldots i_{s}} \Gamma_{j_{n} k}^{q_{n}}=0##

(My theory is that whoever wrote that formula probably did so to engage in a competition of convoluted mathematical notations... :confused: )

Could somebody please help me understand it how should be read? For example, how would it apply for a tensor of order three ##T^{a,b}_{\alpha,\beta}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the easiest notation to read is it, haha. A tensor ##T^{\mu \dots}_{\nu \dots}## is parallel transported along a curve of tangent ##u^{\mu} = dx^{\mu}/d\lambda## if \begin{align*}
\dfrac{DT^{\mu \dots}_{\nu \dots}}{d\lambda} = u^{\rho} \nabla_{\rho} T^{\mu \dots}_{\nu \dots} = u^{\rho} (\partial_{\rho} T^{\mu \dots}_{\nu \dots} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\sigma \rho} T^{\sigma}_{\nu} - \Gamma^{\sigma}_{\nu \rho} T^{\mu \dots}_{\sigma \dots} + \dots) = 0
\end{align*}There's one correction term per tensor index in the covariant derivative. Notice the patern: each index is pulled onto the Christoffel symbol and then replaced with a dummy index. Terms correcting for upper indices appear with a ##+## sign, and terms correcting for lower indices appear with a ##-## sign.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, AndersF and PeroK
Oh ok, it is by far much clearer the way you wrote it. Now I see it, thanks!

1. What is parallel transport of a tensor?

Parallel transport of a tensor is the process of moving a tensor along a curve without changing its orientation or magnitude. This is done by adjusting the tensor's components as it moves along the curve, so that it remains "parallel" to itself at each point.

2. Why is parallel transport important?

Parallel transport is important because it allows us to compare tensors at different points along a curve. This is particularly useful in the field of differential geometry, where it is used to define concepts such as curvature and geodesics.

3. What is the equation for parallel transport of a tensor?

The equation for parallel transport of a tensor is given by:

DXTa1...an = ∂XTa1...an + Γai}_{bj}{X}aiTbja1...an

Where X is the tangent vector to the curve, T is the tensor, and Γai}_{bj}{X} is the Christoffel symbol, which represents the curvature of the space.

4. How do you interpret the equation for parallel transport of a tensor?

The equation for parallel transport of a tensor can be interpreted as follows: The first term on the right side (∂XT) represents the change in the tensor's components due to the movement of the curve. The second term (Γai}_{bj}{X}aiT) represents the change in the tensor's components due to the curvature of the space. Together, these terms ensure that the tensor remains "parallel" to itself as it is transported along the curve.

5. How is parallel transport related to covariant differentiation?

Parallel transport and covariant differentiation are closely related concepts. In fact, parallel transport can be thought of as a special case of covariant differentiation, where the derivative is taken along a curve. Both concepts involve adjusting a tensor's components to account for changes in the underlying space, but covariant differentiation is more general and can be applied to any vector or tensor field, not just those moving along a curve.