PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter gimini75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation discusses a project to develop a program for a CNC machine that uses a missing card for communication. The speaker asks if it is possible to communicate with the machine through the parallel bus and receives a suggestion to use off-the-shelf controllers or write a program for the parallel port.
gimini75
Hi

I have a project to do it in my final year, the project is to develope a program to drive motors in a CNC machine, the problem is this CNC machine has it's own card (hardware&software) to be installed in a PC bus to comunacte with the CNC machine but this card is missing and the company which was making this type of CNC machine will no longare producing it, now I want again to communicate with CNC machine from the parallel bus inside the PC is it possible, Iam not sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe, what model cnc is it?
If it is fanuc or a jema standard machine I might be able to help you.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, the CNC machine which Iam using it in project is a small CNC machine (Feedback 926) with 3 stepper motor.

I haven't heard of Feedback. But if you are allowed to isolate the motors from the
controller you can use any off the shelf controller to drive them. There are used
logic controllers available (cheap and easy). Or, you could write your own program to control them with the parallel port (cheaper but not so easy).

Google it. There are many options.

Related to PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine: Is it Possible?

1. What is a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine?

The PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine is a type of interface that allows a personal computer to communicate with a computer numerical control (CNC) machine. It uses a parallel port on the computer to send and receive digital signals, which are then translated into machine commands.

2. Is it possible to use a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine?

Yes, it is possible to use a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine. In fact, it was a commonly used method in the past for controlling CNC machines. However, with the advancement of technology, other interfaces such as USB and Ethernet have become more popular.

3. What are the advantages of using a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine?

One of the main advantages of using a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine is its low cost. The parallel port is a standard feature on most computers, so there is no need for additional hardware. It also provides a fast data transfer rate, making it suitable for simple CNC applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine. One major limitation is its limited distance range. The parallel port can only transfer data up to a certain distance, which may not be suitable for larger CNC machines. Additionally, it can only support a limited number of input/output devices.

5. Can I still use a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine if my computer does not have a parallel port?

No, you cannot use a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine if your computer does not have a parallel port. However, there are adapters and converters available that can convert other interfaces (such as USB or Ethernet) into a parallel port, allowing you to use a PC Parallel Bus for CNC Machine.