Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation for a cycloid

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am having trouble reversing the formula [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex] to get [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of x. Am I missing something obvious or is it just impossible?

To put it into context this is part of the parametric equation for a cycloid. The other part of the parametric equation is [tex] y = R (1- \cos(\theta))[/tex]. Setting R to 1 (the radius of the rolling wheel) does not seem to help. The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]. I would also like to reverse this full equation to get y in terms of x but I am having trouble with that too. The reason I am trying to reverse the equations is that I am trying to get the intersection of two loci (the cycloid locus and the perimeter of a ellipse).

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, there is no "formula" for solving an equation in which the unknown number occurs both inside a transcendental function (such as cosine) and outside it. typically, the best that can be done is a numerical solution.

I ahve no idea what you mean by "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" because that is not an equation. Did you leave something out?

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Yes I did! That should read "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] x = \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" which is obtained by substituting [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) [/tex] for [tex]\theta[/tex] in [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex].

It seems ridiculous that there is no easy solution to the question "If the point on the perimeter of a wheel has advanced linearly by x then what angle has the wheel rotated through?"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Jan 29, 2008 #4
    Can the Lambert W function help here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?