Parametric equation for a cycloid

• Thread starter yuiop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of reversing a parametric equation for a cycloid and the limitations of finding a formula for equations with transcendental functions. The non-parametric equation for the cycloid is also mentioned, and the potential use of the Lambert W function is brought up as a solution.
yuiop
Hi, I am having trouble reversing the formula [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex] to get [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of x. Am I missing something obvious or is it just impossible?

To put it into context this is part of the parametric equation for a cycloid. The other part of the parametric equation is [tex] y = R (1- \cos(\theta))[/tex]. Setting R to 1 (the radius of the rolling wheel) does not seem to help. The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]. I would also like to reverse this full equation to get y in terms of x but I am having trouble with that too. The reason I am trying to reverse the equations is that I am trying to get the intersection of two loci (the cycloid locus and the perimeter of a ellipse).

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In general, there is no "formula" for solving an equation in which the unknown number occurs both inside a transcendental function (such as cosine) and outside it. typically, the best that can be done is a numerical solution.

I ahve no idea what you mean by "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" because that is not an equation. Did you leave something out?

HallsofIvy said:
In general, there is no "formula" for solving an equation in which the unknown number occurs both inside a transcendental function (such as cosine) and outside it. typically, the best that can be done is a numerical solution.

I ahve no idea what you mean by "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" because that is not an equation. Did you leave something out?

Yes I did! That should read "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] x = \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" which is obtained by substituting [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) [/tex] for [tex]\theta[/tex] in [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex].

It seems ridiculous that there is no easy solution to the question "If the point on the perimeter of a wheel has advanced linearly by x then what angle has the wheel rotated through?"

Last edited:
Can the Lambert W function help here?

What is a parametric equation for a cycloid?

A parametric equation for a cycloid is a set of equations that describe the motion of a point on a cycloid curve. It is defined by two independent variables, typically t and θ, which represent the time and angular position of the point on the cycloid.

How is a parametric equation for a cycloid derived?

A parametric equation for a cycloid can be derived using the parametric representation of a circle and the parametric equations for the x and y coordinates of a point on a circle. By substituting these equations into each other, we can eliminate one of the variables and obtain the parametric equations for a cycloid.

What are the applications of parametric equations for a cycloid?

Parametric equations for a cycloid have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model the motion of objects in cycloidal systems, such as the path of a rolling wheel or the trajectory of a projectile. They are also used in the design of cycloidal gears and other mechanical systems.

What are the advantages of using parametric equations for a cycloid?

Parametric equations for a cycloid offer a more efficient and accurate way to describe the motion of points on a cycloid curve compared to using traditional Cartesian equations. They also allow for easier manipulation and analysis of cycloidal systems.

Are there any limitations to using parametric equations for a cycloid?

One limitation of using parametric equations for a cycloid is that they only describe the motion of a point on a cycloid, not the entire curve. Additionally, the equations may become more complex for more complicated cycloids, making them more difficult to work with.