1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation for a cycloid

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am having trouble reversing the formula [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex] to get [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of x. Am I missing something obvious or is it just impossible?

To put it into context this is part of the parametric equation for a cycloid. The other part of the parametric equation is [tex] y = R (1- \cos(\theta))[/tex]. Setting R to 1 (the radius of the rolling wheel) does not seem to help. The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]. I would also like to reverse this full equation to get y in terms of x but I am having trouble with that too. The reason I am trying to reverse the equations is that I am trying to get the intersection of two loci (the cycloid locus and the perimeter of a ellipse).

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, there is no "formula" for solving an equation in which the unknown number occurs both inside a transcendental function (such as cosine) and outside it. typically, the best that can be done is a numerical solution.

I ahve no idea what you mean by "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" because that is not an equation. Did you leave something out?

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Yes I did! That should read "The non parametric equation for the cycloid is [tex] x = \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) \pm \sqrt{2 R y -y^2}[/tex]" which is obtained by substituting [tex] \pm \cos^{-1}((R-y)/R) [/tex] for [tex]\theta[/tex] in [tex] x=R(\theta - \sin(\theta))[/tex].

It seems ridiculous that there is no easy solution to the question "If the point on the perimeter of a wheel has advanced linearly by x then what angle has the wheel rotated through?"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Jan 29, 2008 #4
    Can the Lambert W function help here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?