1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    I am having difficulty finding the lenght of the curve represented by parametric equations. The difficulty comes from not knowing how to determine if the curve transverses once, twice,... in a given interval.

The only solution I can think of is (say x = g(t) and y = f(t) and y = F(x) on interval [a,b] )
    Look at graph x = g(t) and determine on the interval [a,b] if there are any values of x that repeat
    If so then the graph y = F(x) on [a,b] may transverse more than once,
    next look at the graph y = f(x) and determine if and y values repeat.

Then from these values one should be able to determine if the graph y =F(x) overlaps its self... but I know there must be a better method...
    Help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the curve is given by x= g(t) and y= f(t) then dx/dt= f'(t) and dy/dt= g'(t) so dx= f'(t)dt and dy= g'(t)dt. The integral for curve length is
    [tex]\int \sqrt{(dx)^2+ (dy)^2}= \int \sqrt{(f'(t)dt)^2+ (g'(t)dt)^2}= \int\sqrt{(f'(t))^2+ (g'(t))^2}dt[/tex]

If the graph "overlaps itself" you only want to integrate over values of t that go over the path once. Choose some convenient point, [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], and find succesive solutions to [itex]f(t)= x_0[/itex], [itex]g(t)= y_0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook