Parametric representation of a surface

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the surface x=2cos(theta)sin(phi), y=3sin(theta)sin(phi), z=2cos(phi) expressed as a level surface f(x,y,z)=144. The group discussed different equations and attempted solutions, with one member suggesting using x/2 instead of 2x in the equation. This led to the realization that x^2+y^2+z^2=1 is the desired form for f(x,y,z)=144. The conversation ended with thanks for the helpful insights.
Pete_01

Homework Statement

Express the surface
x = 2cos(theta)sin(phi) y=3sin(theta)sin(phi) z=2cos(phi)
as a level surface f(x,y,z) = 144,
f(x,y,z) = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured they wanted the equation f(x,y,z) in x^2+y^2+z^2=144 so I though that by making the r's in the equations the same that would be the way to go.--> 24x^2+36y^2+24y^2 = 144 Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like (x/2)^2+(y/3)^2+(z/2)^2=1. Do you agree? Now how about a form for f(x,y,z)=144?

How did you know to make the equation into x/2 instead of 2x? Is it really x/r in effect?

Because I know if x=cos(theta)sin(phi) y=sin(theta)sin(phi) z=cos(phi) then x^2+y^2+z^2=1. I just divided off the constants.

Oh ok gotcha, great help thanks!

1. What is parametric representation of a surface?

Parametric representation of a surface is a mathematical method used to describe the coordinates of points on a surface in terms of one or more independent variables. It allows for a more flexible and efficient way of representing complex surfaces compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is parametric representation different from Cartesian representation?

Parametric representation uses independent variables to describe points on a surface, while Cartesian representation uses fixed coordinates. This allows for more control and flexibility in representing complex surfaces, as well as making it easier to calculate and manipulate geometric properties.

3. What are some applications of parametric representation of surfaces?

Parametric representation is used in a variety of fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to create 3D models, design curves and surfaces in engineering, and analyze complex geometric shapes in mathematics.

4. How is a parametric equation for a surface defined?

A parametric equation for a surface is defined as a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on the surface in terms of one or more independent variables. These equations can be in the form of vector equations, parametric equations, or implicit equations.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric representation of surfaces?

Parametric representation offers several advantages over other methods, such as easier visualization of complex surfaces, more control over the shape and orientation of the surface, and the ability to easily calculate geometric properties such as curvature and surface area. It also allows for more efficient and accurate representation of curved and irregular surfaces.