Parametrization of a Reduced Matrix

In summary: Thank you for clarifying and pointing out my mistake. I appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses the doubts and confusion surrounding the parametrization of a given reduced matrix, specifically one with only zeroes. The correct method is to assign a free variable to each pivot and solve for the remaining variables. The conversation also highlights a common mistake of ignoring the zeros and not assigning them a variable.
Jundoe
I'm facing some doubts regarding the parametrization of a given matrix.

Let's say, the following matrix is reduced.

$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 2 & -8\\0 & 2 & 0\\0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}$

To:
$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}$

To Parametrize that I would do the following:

x2=0, x3=0

$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}$= $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\1\end{bmatrix}$

But that doesn't seem right. For some reason when the matrix is bigger with more integers I can do it simply with chosen variables r, s, t... But with only zeroes like this I get super confused.

I would usually proceed with assigned variables, which may yield:

$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}$= r $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}$ + s $\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}$

But even this feels odd, seeing as I'm assigning a variable to a pivot.

Can someone please clarify this for me.
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jundoe said:
I'm facing some doubts regarding the parametrization of a given matrix.

Let's say, the following matrix is reduced.

$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 2 & -8\\0 & 2 & 0\\0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}$

To:
$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}$

To Parametrize that I would do the following:

x2=0, x3=0

$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}$= $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\1\end{bmatrix}$

But that doesn't seem right. For some reason when the matrix is bigger with more integers I can do it simply with chosen variables r, s, t... But with only zeroes like this I get super confused.

I would usually proceed with assigned variables, which may yield:

$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}$= r $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}$ + s $\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}$

But even this feels odd, seeing as I'm assigning a variable to a pivot.

Can someone please clarify this for me.
Thank You.

Welcome to MHB, Jundoe! :)

I think you are trying to solve $x1$, $x2$, and $x3$ from:
$$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 2 & -8\\0 & 2 & 0\\0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$$
Let me know if I am misunderstanding.

Row reduction turns this into:
$$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$$
You correctly deduced that $x2=0$ and $x3=0$.

However, after that you seem to give them a non-zero value, which can't be right.
What you do have, is that $x1$ has an unspecified value. Let's call it $r$. So $x1 = r$.
Then your solution should be:
$$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}= r \begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$$

I like Serena said:
However, after that you seem to give them a non-zero value, which can't be right.
What you do have, is that $x1$ has an unspecified value. Let's call it $r$. So $x1 = r$.
Then your solution should be:
$$\begin{bmatrix}x1\\x2\\x3\end{bmatrix}= r \begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$$

Much clearer, thank you. I was aware of assigning free variables yet, for some odd reason, thought the zeroes were pretty much obsolete, and would ignore them instead of assigning them a variable.

1. What is parametrization from matrix?

Parametrization from matrix is a process of representing a set of parameters using a matrix. It is a useful technique in mathematics and statistics, where it allows for a more efficient and compact representation of a large set of parameters.

2. How is parametrization from matrix used in scientific research?

Parametrization from matrix is commonly used in scientific research to model complex systems and relationships. It allows for the efficient representation of multiple variables and their interactions, making it easier to analyze and interpret data.

3. What are the advantages of using parametrization from matrix?

One of the main advantages of parametrization from matrix is its ability to simplify and streamline complex mathematical models. It also allows for a more concise and organized representation of a large number of parameters, making it easier to study and understand relationships between variables.

4. Can parametrization from matrix be applied to any type of data?

Yes, parametrization from matrix can be applied to a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and even textual data. It is a flexible technique that can be adapted to different types of data and research questions.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametrization from matrix?

While parametrization from matrix is a powerful technique, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for very large datasets, as it can become computationally expensive. Additionally, the interpretation of results from a parametrization matrix may require some mathematical expertise.