1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization of a torus

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the parametrization of torus given by:

x=x(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))cos(ß)
    y=y(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))sin(ß)
    z=z(ø,ß)=sin(ø),

for 0≤ø,ß≤2π

What is the radius of the circle that runs through the center of the tube, and what is the radius of the tube, measured from the central circle?

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

Hmmmm..... I don't get it. The distance from a point on the torus to the center would be √(x2+y2+z2), I think. But the center of the tube? Not sure how that would work. H

Help is appreciated. And after that, I may ask some more questions. :smile: I know you folks are ready, willing, and able.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: It might help you to write it like this:

[tex]\langle x,y,z\rangle=\langle 3\cos\beta,3\sin\beta,0\rangle+
    \langle\cos\phi\cos\beta,\cos\phi\sin\beta,\sin\phi\rangle[/tex]

and look at the lengths of those vectors.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    But what does the length of those vectors have to do with anything?

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\beta= 0[/itex], [itex]x= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= 0[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](x-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the xz-plane with center at (3, 0, 0) and radius 1. Similarly, if [itex]\beta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]x= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](y-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the yz-plane with center at (0, 3, 0) and radius 1. With [itex]\beta= \pi[/itex] and [itex]\beta= 3\pi/2[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers at (-3, 0, 0) and (0, -3, 0), respectively. In general, as [itex]\beta[/itex] ranges from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers sweeping out a circle with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 3. That's the "center of the tube".

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    Oh, okay. It just seems like if you had donut floating in space that if defined by some parametrization x(∂,ß), y(∂,ß), z(∂,ß), values of ∂,ß would map to a point on the surface. Like I know if you have x(t), y(t), you can regions in the x-y plane into cool things like cartoids, that could not be made with just x, y=f(x). I'm just confused about how exactly the equation for the radius of a sphere in x-y-z space gets turned into the a formula for the distance between the origin and the center of a donut. :confused:

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a picture that may help you understand the parameterization:

torus.jpg

Edit: The φ in the picture should be α or vice - versa. Too much trouble to change it now :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook