Understanding Torus Parameterization

In summary, the parametrization of a torus can be written as x=x(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))cos(ß), y=y(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))sin(ß), z=z(ø,ß)=sin(ø), for 0≤ø,ß≤2π. The radius of the circle that runs through the center of the tube is 3, and the radius of the tube, measured from the central circle, is 1. The center of the tube can be found by varying the values of ø and ß, with ø ranging from 0 to 2π and ß ranging from 0 to π. This parametrization
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Consider the parametrization of torus given by:

x=x(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))cos(ß)
y=y(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))sin(ß)
z=z(ø,ß)=sin(ø),

for 0≤ø,ß≤2π

What is the radius of the circle that runs through the center of the tube, and what is the radius of the tube, measured from the central circle?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmmm... I don't get it. The distance from a point on the torus to the center would be √(x2+y2+z2), I think. But the center of the tube? Not sure how that would work. H

Help is appreciated. And after that, I may ask some more questions. :smile: I know you folks are ready, willing, and able.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: It might help you to write it like this:

[tex]\langle x,y,z\rangle=\langle 3\cos\beta,3\sin\beta,0\rangle+
\langle\cos\phi\cos\beta,\cos\phi\sin\beta,\sin\phi\rangle[/tex]

and look at the lengths of those vectors.

LCKurtz said:
Hint: It might help you to write it like this:

[tex]\langle x,y,z\rangle=\langle 3\cos\beta,3\sin\beta,0\rangle+
\langle\cos\phi\cos\beta,\cos\phi\sin\beta,\sin\phi\rangle[/tex]

and look at the lengths of those vectors.

But what does the length of those vectors have to do with anything?

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the parametrization of torus given by:

x=x(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))cos(ß)
y=y(ø,ß)=(3+cos(ø))sin(ß)
z=z(ø,ß)=sin(ø),
If [itex]\beta= 0[/itex], [itex]x= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= 0[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](x-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the xz-plane with center at (3, 0, 0) and radius 1. Similarly, if [itex]\beta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]x= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](y-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the yz-plane with center at (0, 3, 0) and radius 1. With [itex]\beta= \pi[/itex] and [itex]\beta= 3\pi/2[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers at (-3, 0, 0) and (0, -3, 0), respectively. In general, as [itex]\beta[/itex] ranges from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers sweeping out a circle with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 3. That's the "center of the tube".

for 0≤ø,ß≤2π

What is the radius of the circle that runs through the center of the tube, and what is the radius of the tube, measured from the central circle?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmmm... I don't get it. The distance from a point on the torus to the center would be √(x2+y2+z2), I think. But the center of the tube? Not sure how that would work. H

Help is appreciated. And after that, I may ask some more questions. :smile: I know you folks are ready, willing, and able.

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]\beta= 0[/itex], [itex]x= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= 0[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](x-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the xz-plane with center at (3, 0, 0) and radius 1. Similarly, if [itex]\beta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]x= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 3+ cos(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= sin(\phi)[/itex] so that [itex](y-3)^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. That's a circle in the yz-plane with center at (0, 3, 0) and radius 1. With [itex]\beta= \pi[/itex] and [itex]\beta= 3\pi/2[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers at (-3, 0, 0) and (0, -3, 0), respectively. In general, as [itex]\beta[/itex] ranges from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] we get circles with radii 1 and centers sweeping out a circle with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 3. That's the "center of the tube".

Oh, okay. It just seems like if you had donut floating in space that if defined by some parametrization x(∂,ß), y(∂,ß), z(∂,ß), values of ∂,ß would map to a point on the surface. Like I know if you have x(t), y(t), you can regions in the x-y plane into cool things like cartoids, that could not be made with just x, y=f(x). I'm just confused about how exactly the equation for the radius of a sphere in x-y-z space gets turned into the a formula for the distance between the origin and the center of a donut. :confused:

Jamin2112 said:
Oh, okay. It just seems like if you had donut floating in space that if defined by some parametrization x(∂,ß), y(∂,ß), z(∂,ß), values of ∂,ß would map to a point on the surface. Like I know if you have x(t), y(t), you can regions in the x-y plane into cool things like cartoids, that could not be made with just x, y=f(x). I'm just confused about how exactly the equation for the radius of a sphere in x-y-z space gets turned into the a formula for the distance between the origin and the center of a donut. :confused:

Here's a picture that may help you understand the parameterization:

torus.jpg

Edit: The φ in the picture should be α or vice - versa. Too much trouble to change it now

Related to Understanding Torus Parameterization

1. What is parametrization of a torus?

Parametrization of a torus is a mathematical process of representing a torus (a doughnut-shaped object) in terms of a set of parameters or variables. This allows us to describe the shape and location of points on the torus using equations.

2. Why is parametrization of a torus important?

Parametrization of a torus is important because it allows us to study and analyze the properties of a torus in a more systematic and structured way. It also enables us to use the torus in various applications, such as in computer graphics and geometry.

3. How is a torus parametrized?

A torus can be parametrized using two angles, usually denoted by u and v, which represent the rotation around the center of the torus and the distance from the center, respectively. These angles can be used to determine the x, y, and z coordinates of a point on the torus using trigonometric functions.

4. Can a torus be parametrized in different ways?

Yes, a torus can be parametrized in different ways depending on the specific properties that we want to highlight or the purpose of the parametrization. For example, a torus can be parametrized using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, or even using complex numbers.

5. What are the applications of parametrization of a torus?

Parametrization of a torus has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in computer graphics to create 3D models of objects, as well as in geometry to study the properties of tori. It also has practical applications in fields such as architecture, robotics, and computer-aided design.