Part Derivs: Minimizing the Weight of a Rocket

In summary, the objective of the problem is to find the minimal weights of each of the 3 stages of a rocket, given specific constant factors and a constraint for a final velocity. The question at hand is to verify that ln((M+A)/A) is minimized at the same location as M. By using the Method of Lagrange Multipliers and considering the gradient vectors of both M and ln((M+A)/A), it can be concluded that they are pointing in the same direction and can be substituted for each other. This is due to the fact that ln((M+A)/A) and (M+A)/A are equivalent and a monotone strictly increasing function of each other. Therefore, the minimum points of both functions will be
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

This is actually an Applied Project in the text, and overall is quite a large problem, so I won't post the entire thing, as there are lots of equations and steps where the text guides me by saying "show that...this thing...then...show that this other thing..."

What I need to know, is if my reasoning on one particular step is valid or not.

So, the overall objective is to find an expression for the minimal weights of each of 3 stages of a rocket based on various constant factors and a constraint that a given final velocity be reached.

3) Verify that [itex]\ln{\frac{M+A}{A}}[/itex] is minimized at the same location as M.

Homework Equations

[itex]v_f[/itex]: final velocity

[itex]M_1, M_2, M_3[/itex]: masses of rocket stages

edit: [itex]A[/itex]: a constant, mass of the payload

[itex]M = M_1+M_2+M_3[/itex]

[itex]\frac{M+A}{A}=\frac{(1-S)^3N_1N_2N_3}{(1-SN_1)(1-SN_2)(1-SN_3)}[/itex]

These [itex]N_i[/itex]s are functions of the three masses of the three stages.

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found the gradient vectors for both M and ln((M+A)/A).

[tex]\nabla M = \left< 1,1,1 \right>[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \ln{\frac{M+A}{A}}=\nabla \left[\ln{(M+A)}-\ln{A}\right]=\left< \frac{1}{M+A},\frac{1}{M+A},\frac{1}{M+A} \right>[/tex]

NB: these are grad vectors with respect to [itex]M_1,M_2,M_3[/itex]

I have reasoned that these vectors are pointing in the same direction, so are therefore equivalent to each other, and so therefore could be substituted for one another in the Method of Lagrange Multipliers.

Or more formally, when using the Method of Lagrange Multipliers

[tex]\nabla M = k \nabla \ln{\frac{M+A}{A}} = \lambda \nabla constraint[/tex]

But since k and lambda are constants, the k could just be absorbed into the lambda and the system solved in a similar, valid way.

Am I right? If not, why not? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

This is actually an Applied Project in the text, and overall is quite a large problem, so I won't post the entire thing, as there are lots of equations and steps where the text guides me by saying "show that...this thing...then...show that this other thing..."

What I need to know, is if my reasoning on one particular step is valid or not.

So, the overall objective is to find an expression for the minimal weights of each of 3 stages of a rocket based on various constant factors and a constraint that a given final velocity be reached.

3) Verify that [itex]\ln{\frac{M+A}{A}}[/itex] is minimized at the same location as M.

Homework Equations

[itex]v_f[/itex]: final velocity

[itex]M_1, M_2, M_3[/itex]: masses of rocket stages

edit: [itex]A[/itex]: a constant, mass of the payload

[itex]M = M_1+M_2+M_3[/itex]

[itex]\frac{M+A}{A}=\frac{(1-S)^3N_1N_2N_3}{(1-SN_1)(1-SN_2)(1-SN_3)}[/itex]

These [itex]N_i[/itex]s are functions of the three masses of the three stages.

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found the gradient vectors for both M and ln((M+A)/A).

[tex]\nabla M = \left< 1,1,1 \right>[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \ln{\frac{M+A}{A}}=\nabla \left[\ln{(M+A)}-\ln{A}\right]=\left< \frac{1}{M+A},\frac{1}{M+A},\frac{1}{M+A} \right>[/tex]

NB: these are grad vectors with respect to [itex]M_1,M_2,M_3[/itex]

I have reasoned that these vectors are pointing in the same direction, so are therefore equivalent to each other, and so therefore could be substituted for one another in the Method of Lagrange Multipliers.

Or more formally, when using the Method of Lagrange Multipliers

[tex]\nabla M = k \nabla \ln{\frac{M+A}{A}} = \lambda \nabla constraint[/tex]

But since k and lambda are constants, the k could just be absorbed into the lambda and the system solved in a similar, valid way.

Am I right? If not, why not? :)

No need to be so fancy; the result is automatically true, almost with no work. if ##A## is a positive constant, ##M/A## is minimized at the same point as ##M##. Then, also, ##1+ M/A## is minimized at the same point. However, ##1 + M/A = (M+A)/A##, so the latter is minimized at the same point as ##M##. Finally, if ##A,M > 0##, ##\ln((A+M)/A)## is a monotone strictly increasing function of ##(A+M)/A##, so if we make ##(M+A)/A## as small (or large) as possible, we also make its logarithm as small (or large) as possible, and vice versa. That's all you need: it is not "rocket science", if you will forgive the term.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is the purpose of minimizing the weight of a rocket?

The purpose of minimizing the weight of a rocket is to increase its efficiency and reduce the cost of launching it into space. A lighter rocket requires less fuel, allowing it to carry a larger payload and travel further with the same amount of fuel.

2. How do scientists determine the optimal weight for a rocket?

Scientists use mathematical models and calculations to determine the optimal weight for a rocket. This involves analyzing various factors such as the desired trajectory, available fuel, and payload weight to find the most efficient weight for the rocket.

3. What are some methods used to minimize the weight of a rocket?

There are several methods used to minimize the weight of a rocket. These include using lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber, for the rocket's structure, optimizing the design to reduce drag, and using more efficient propulsion systems.

4. How does the weight of a rocket affect its stability?

The weight of a rocket plays a crucial role in its stability during flight. A heavier rocket will require more thrust to lift off, which can affect its trajectory and stability. On the other hand, a lighter rocket can be more susceptible to wind and other external factors.

5. Are there any trade-offs when minimizing the weight of a rocket?

Yes, there are trade-offs when minimizing the weight of a rocket. While a lighter rocket may be more efficient and cost-effective, it may also sacrifice some strength and durability. This can make the rocket more susceptible to damage during launch or while in space.