Solving Partial Derivation Homework Problem

In summary, this problem is asking you to find the coordinates of a point on a graph. If you have not met partial differentiation before, then this may be a difficult problem.
Bman900
Now I solved something similar to this problem yesterday (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=447168) thanks to the help of p21bass but this one is really out there and I have no idea where to begin.

Homework Statement

secondproblem.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to even start as this is my first time ever seeing this problem. Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
So is the question just asking you to find Fx, Fy, Fz?
If that is the case then its a fairly easy problem.
If you have not met partial differentiation before I won't go through what it is and how it comes about but i'll just tell you how to do it:
To differentiate du/dx (with curly d's to represent partial derivatives) you take all the variables which are not x and treat them as constants so for example d/dx (x^2yz)=2xyz
As with the minus signs you just need to find the derivatives and then multiply it by -1 .
Hopefully that helps a little.

robcowlam said:
So is the question just asking you to find Fx, Fy, Fz?
If that is the case then its a fairly easy problem.
If you have not met partial differentiation before I won't go through what it is and how it comes about but i'll just tell you how to do it:
To differentiate du/dx (with curly d's to represent partial derivatives) you take all the variables which are not x and treat them as constants so for example d/dx (x^2yz)=2xyz
As with the minus signs you just need to find the derivatives and then multiply it by -1 .
Hopefully that helps a little.

so like this?

secondproblemqustion.jpg

But since am treating yz as constants wouldn't it be 0 if I take the derivative or am just taking the derivative of x and then multiplying it by yz?

Ok so I read up on partial derivatives and came up with this:

secondproblemcopy.jpg

Am I right?

Not quite. When you partially differentiate, you're treating the other variables as constant, but you still might be multiplying by the variable you're differentiating with respect to. For instance:

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x} ( xyz ) = yz[/tex]

As you know

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} ( \alpha x ) = \alpha[/tex]

Remember: when you differentiate a constant on its own, you get 0, but a constant multiplying the variable you're differentiating with respect to is not zero!

I really do appreciate the help here! Now is this any better?

secondproblemcopy-2.jpg

Looks great, nice work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Partial Derivation Homework Problem

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is often denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial") and is commonly used in multivariable calculus.

2. How do you solve a partial derivative?

To solve a partial derivative, you must first determine which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, treat all other variables as constants and use the power rule or chain rule to find the derivative. Finally, plug in the value of the variable and simplify the expression.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze the changes in a function when only one variable is allowed to vary, while all other variables are held constant. They are particularly useful in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of a function in relation to specific variables.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a partial derivative?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x,y) = 3x^2 - 4xy + 2y^3, we can find the partial derivative with respect to x by treating y as a constant and using the power rule: ∂f/∂x = 6x - 4y. Similarly, the partial derivative with respect to y would be ∂f/∂y = -4x + 6y^2.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative is that a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in the function due to all of its variables varying simultaneously.