Partial derivative Compute dv/dx

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the partial derivative of v with respect to x, where v = [12xy-(x^2)(y^2)]/[2(x+y)]. The attempt at a solution involved taking the partial derivative of the numerator and using the quotient rule to find the final answer. However, the book's solution was different and the person is confused about where they went wrong. They request for help and ask for a step-by-step explanation.
sapiental

Homework Statement

Compute dv/dx and for v = [12xy-(x^2)(y^2)]/[2(x+y)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attemptet to solve this problem just reading over partial derivatives for the first time and get the following answer:

dv/dx (6y-xy^2)/(x+y)^2
let's say I take out the numerator and just took the partial derivative of it: i.e

(dv/dx)(12xy-(x^2)(y^2))

would the partial derivative be = 12y-2xy^2 ?

the book however gives the following answer without going through any steps because it is part of a larger problem.

dv/dx = [(y^2)(12-2xy-x^2)]/[2(x+y)^2]

I am confused because this answe is very different from mine and I can't trace my steps where I messed up.

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the derivative of the numerator correct. The denominators derivative is just 2. Use the quotient rule. [tex](\frac{u}{v})'=\frac{u'v-v'u}{v^2}[/tex]

Show us your working

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why is it important to compute partial derivatives?

Computing partial derivatives allows us to understand how a function changes in response to small changes in one of its variables, which is crucial in many fields of science such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you compute a partial derivative?

To compute a partial derivative, we treat all other variables as constants and follow the same rules as in single variable calculus. We take the derivative of the function with respect to the specified variable and evaluate it at the given point.

4. What does dv/dx represent in a partial derivative?

In a partial derivative, dv/dx represents the rate of change of the dependent variable v with respect to the independent variable x. It tells us how much the dependent variable changes when the independent variable changes by a small amount.

5. Can you give an example of computing a partial derivative?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 3xy, to compute ∂f/∂x, we treat y as a constant and take the derivative of x^2 with respect to x, which gives us 2x. The derivative of 3xy with respect to x would be 3y, but since y is treated as a constant, it becomes 0. Therefore, ∂f/∂x = 2x + 0 = 2x.