1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative: Finding the vector on a scalar field at point (3,5)

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A scalar field is given by the function: ∅ = 3x2y + 4y2
    a) Find del ∅ at the point (3,5)
    b) Find the component of del ∅ that makes a -60o angle with the axis at the point (3,5)

2. Relevant equations
    del ∅ = d∅/dx + d∅/dy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I completed part a:
    del ∅ = (6xy+4y2)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + (3x2+8y)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] = 120[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + 67[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] (this answer is correct)

I am having trouble with part b. My gut feeling is that I need to take a dot product; project the vector from 'part a' onto the vector that makes "a -60o angle with the axis."

Assuming the equation is |a||b|cosθ,
    • I think a = 120[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + 67[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]
    • I'm not sure what b is. Maybe a unit vector?
    • I'm thinking θ is 60o + atan(67/120)

Also, I'm assuming the "axis" that the problem refers to is the x-axis. The answer is -13.02.

Thank you for any help.

EDIT: Oops. 120i + 67j is not correct; it's 90i + 67j. |90i + 67j|cos(60+atan(67/90)) = -13.02

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello luxer5. Welcome to PF !

[itex]\cos(\theta)\hat{i}+\sin(\theta)\hat{j}[/itex] is a vector that makes an angle of θ with the positive x-axis. It also happens to have a magnitude of 1 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook