1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative

1. Jul 16, 2006 #1
    f(x,y)=2y / (y+cos x) .Find partial derivative w.r.t x

can someone teach me how to do this pls

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

If y doesn't depend on x, treat y as a constant and find the derivative wrt x as you normally do.
  4. Jul 16, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

To do a partial derivative with respect to one variable, treat the other variables as 'constants'. In the equation given, for a partial derivative with respect to x, treat y as a constant and use the rules for ordinary differentiation.
  5. Jul 16, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you're doing multiple-variable calculus, you probably know how to differentiate the function f(x) = 2k / (k+cos x ) where k is a constant? Find that, then replace k by y and you get the partial derivative of f(x,y) wrt x.
  6. Jul 16, 2006 #5
    can someone show this because i don't know how to do
  7. Jul 16, 2006 #6
    Just Differentiate f(x) as if y was a constant. Just concentrate on the x variable, the only one that is "important" now. The derivative of the function f(x) = 2k/(k+cos x ) where k is a constant (and then changing k for y) is the same as the partial derivative of f(x,y)=2y / (y+cos x) w.r.t x.
    Nothing else is to be shown.
  8. Jul 16, 2006 #7
    the formula is it vu'-u'v/(v^2) ??
  9. Jul 16, 2006 #8

Homework Helper

Uhmm, nope. The red-highlighted part is wrong. It should read uv', i.e the whole formula is:
    [tex]\left( \frac{u}{v} \right) ' = \frac{u'v - uv'}{v ^ 2}[/tex].
    Can you go from here? :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?