Partial Derivatives. Did I make a mistake or my professor

In summary: If x, y, and z are independent variables, then ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}## = 0 and ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## = 0. The partial of any of the three variables with respect to a different variable is zero.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

the equation is E= k((xy)x[hat] +(2yz)y[hat] +(3xz)z[hat])

Homework Equations

partial of x with respect to y on the x component
partial of y with respect to x on the y component

The Attempt at a Solution

my professor said during class that the partial of x with respect to y is y and the partial of y with respect to x is 0
shouldn't the partial of x with respect to y be x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved from Precalc section. Questions about derivatives should be posted in the Calculus section.
grandpa2390 said:

Homework Statement

the equation is E= k((xy)x[hat] +(2yz)y[hat] +(3xz)z[hat])
In LaTeX, the equation is ##E = k(xy\hat{x} + 2yz\hat{y} + 3xz\hat{z})##
grandpa2390 said:

Homework Equations

partial of x with respect to y on the x component
partial of y with respect to x on the y component
I'm not sure these make sense. Do you mean, partial of E with respect to x and partial of E with respect to y? In symbols, ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial y}##.

If x, y, and z are independent variables, then ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}## = 0 and ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## = 0. The partial of any of the three variables with respect to a different variable is zero.
grandpa2390 said:

my professor said during class that the partial of x with respect to y is y and the partial of y with respect to x is 0

Likes grandpa2390
Mark44 said:
Moved from Precalc section. Questions about derivatives should be posted in the Calculus section.In LaTeX, the equation is ##E = k(xy\hat{x} + 2yz\hat{y} + 3xz\hat{z})##
I'm not sure these make sense. Do you mean, partial of E with respect to x and partial of E with respect to y? In symbols, ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial y}##.

If x, y, and z are independent variables, then ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}## = 0 and ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## = 0. The partial of any of the three variables with respect to a different variable is zero.
I don't know. the only explanation I can offer is that each component is an equation to itself. ##\hat{x}=xy## and ##\hat{y}=2yz##

Physics professors do often joke about there being a difference between Physics math and Mathematician math... Not being a mathematician, I can't tell you how it is supposed to be. Perhaps I should email this question to my professor?

grandpa2390 said:
I don't know. the only explanation I can offer is that each component is an equation to itself. ##hat{x}=xy hat{y}=2yz##
I don't think so, at least based on your first post.
In this equation, ##E = k(xy\hat{x} + 2yz\hat{y} + 3xz\hat{z})##, E is apparently a vector with components ##\hat{x}, \hat{y},## and ##\hat{z}##. The coefficients of these vectors (which I believe are unit vectors, given the "hat" notation), respectively, are kxy, 2kyz, and 3kxz.

It makes no sense, as I read this problem, to say that ##\hat{x} = xy## or the other two equations you show here.

Likes grandpa2390
Mark44 said:
I don't think so, at least based on your first post.
In this equation, ##E = k(xy\hat{x} + 2yz\hat{y} + 3xz\hat{z})##, E is apparently a vector with components ##\hat{x}, \hat{y},## and ##\hat{z}##. The coefficients of these vectors (which I believe are unit vectors, given the "hat" notation), respectively, are kxy, 2kyz, and 3kxz.

It makes no sense, as I read this problem, to say that ##\hat{x} = xy## or the other two equations you show here.

ok. I'm going to go visit my professor. If you would like, I'll post his response. Just to make sure I understand what you are saying. it should be the partial of E with respect to each component. otherwise, if each variable is independent, then what I wrote should be 0.

I don't understand what you mean though that the coefficient of the vectors. they are variables. and the coefficients given the partial derivatives would be (kx)y and (2kyz). therefore kx and 0. that's what it seems like to me. though, then again, I don't know this stuff as well as you do, so I am not arguing with you.

grandpa2390 said:
I don't know. the only explanation I can offer is that each component is an equation to itself. ##\hat{x}=xy## and ##\hat{y}=2yz##
Definitely not that.

grandpa2390 said:

Perhaps he/she meant that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial y} = (k)\cdot x \ ## and ##\displaystyle \ \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial x} = 0 \ .##

Likes grandpa2390
SammyS said:
Definitely not that.Perhaps he/she meant that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial y} = (k)\cdot x \ ## and ##\displaystyle \ \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial x} = 0 \ .##
Actually, that sounds right. He has used that notation before. and I think when he was saying it, he was just saying it quickly assuming we understood that. But still, the first partial would be kx right? he left the k in front because it was irrelevant to what he was doing. He was just proving that the the first partial and the second weren't equal. But otherwise your interpretation makes sense, and does the first partial equal kx then? rather than y?

grandpa2390 said:

Physics professors do often joke about there being a difference between Physics math and Mathematician math... Not being a mathematician, I can't tell you how it is supposed to be. Perhaps I should email this question to my professor?

I think you mean ##\vec{E} = E_x \hat{x} + E_y \hat{y} + E_z \hat{z}##, where ##E_x = kxy, E_y=2kyz, E_z=3kxz## are the ##x,y,z##-components of ##\vec{E}## and ##\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z}## are the unit vectors along the ##x,y,z##-axes. It makes sense to speak of quantities such as ##\partial E_x/\partial x## or ##\partial E_x/\partial y##, for example, but makes no sense at all to speak of "partial of x with respect to y on the x component". Are you stating the question exactly and completely?

Likes grandpa2390
Ray Vickson said:
I think you mean ##\vec{E} = E_x \hat{x} + E_y \hat{y} + E_z \hat{z}##, where ##E_x = kxy, E_y=2kyz, E_z=3kxz## are the ##x,y,z##-components of ##\vec{E}## and ##\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z}## are the unit vectors along the ##x,y,z##-axes. It makes sense to speak of quantities such as ##\partial E_x/\partial x## or ##\partial E_x/\partial y##, for example, but makes no sense at all to speak of "partial of x with respect to y on the x component". Are you stating the question exactly and completely?

It's not a question. it is just something he said in class. and I think @SammyS got it.
looks like you got it too

grandpa2390 said:
ok. I'm going to go visit my professor.
Good idea.
grandpa2390 said:
If you would like, I'll post his response.
Yes, please do.
grandpa2390 said:
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying. it should be the partial of E with respect to each component.
Yes, that's what I was saying.
grandpa2390 said:
otherwise, if each variable is independent, then what I wrote should be 0.
Yes. The partial of any variable with respect to some other variable would be zero.
grandpa2390 said:
I don't understand what you mean though that the coefficient of the vectors. they are variables.
By coefficients, I mean the things that multiply each of ##\hat{x}, \hat{y},## and ##\hat{z}##.
grandpa2390 said:
and the coefficients given the partial derivatives would be (kx)y and (2kyz). therefore kx and 0.
It's not clear to me what you're saying here.
If ##E = k(xy\hat{x} + 2yz\hat{y} + 3xz\hat{z})##, then ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial x}## would be ##ky\hat{x} + 0k\hat{y} + 3kz\hat{z}##, which could also be written as ##k(y\hat{x} + 3z\hat{z} ).##

The only thing that bothers me about this, is not knowing what ##\hat{x}, \hat{y},## and ##\hat{z}## are. I believe they are unit vectors, based on the "hat" notation, but if they are not all mutually orthogonal, I'm not sure what complexities that adds.
grandpa2390 said:
that's what it seems like to me. though, then again, I don't know this stuff as well as you do, so I am not arguing with you.

1. What are partial derivatives and how are they different from regular derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding all other variables constant. They are used in multivariable calculus and are denoted by the symbol ∂. They are different from regular derivatives in that they only consider the change in one variable, while regular derivatives consider the change in all variables.

2. How are partial derivatives useful in real-life applications?

Partial derivatives are useful in many real-life applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables and to optimize functions with multiple constraints. For example, in economics, partial derivatives are used to calculate marginal utility and in thermodynamics, they are used to calculate the change in temperature with respect to different variables.

3. Why do we need to calculate partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are necessary for understanding the behavior of multivariable functions and for solving optimization problems. They allow us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are also used to find critical points and saddle points in functions with multiple variables.

4. How do I know if I have made a mistake when calculating a partial derivative?

If you are unsure if you have made a mistake when calculating a partial derivative, you can always double-check your work by using the chain rule and the product rule. Make sure to also check if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem and if it matches the given values or conditions. If you are still uncertain, it is always best to ask your professor for clarification.

5. What should I do if my professor marked my partial derivative as incorrect?

If your professor marked your partial derivative as incorrect, it is important to first review your work and try to identify where you may have made a mistake. If you are unable to find the error, it is best to speak with your professor and ask for their feedback and guidance on how to improve. It is also helpful to ask for specific examples or practice problems to further solidify your understanding of partial derivatives.