Partial Derivatives: Evaluating Quotients with Multiple Variables

In summary: So in this case, the derivative would be 0.In summary, the poster is seeking help with evaluating the first partial derivative of two equations involving quotients with multiple variables. They are unsure of how to properly apply the quotient and chain rules and are seeking clarification. Several users have provided guidance, including an example of the partial derivative with respect to x and an explanation of the derivative of a log of a constant. The poster is still unsure and is seeking further assistance.
patata
Hey everybody, first time poster although I've recently come across this forum and it's helped me discover the solution of many problems I've been having. I've seen to come to grips with most partial derivative problems I've come across, however, i still can't get correct solutions to problems involving quotients, don't know how exactly to go about it. The two specific questions I've got in my book which i can't seem to get are given below.

Homework Statement

Evaluate the first partial derivative

Homework Equations

f(x, y) = (x + y)/(x - y) (1)

f(x, y) = log(1+x) / log(1+y) (2)

Thanks for any help which could be given =)

I assume you use the standard quotient rule, but i don't know how exactly to go about it with multiple variables...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
patata said:
I assume you use the standard quotient rule, but i don't know how exactly to go about it with multiple variables...thanks.
Yes, you'd use the quotient (or product) rule and the chain rule. When computing ∂F/∂x, treat y as a constant; When computing ∂F/∂y, treat x as a constant.

Yes, you simply use the quotient rule, keeping the variable you're not taking the partial derivative of as a constant.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
f(x,y) = \frac{{g(x,y)}}{{h(x,y)}} \\
\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{x} = \frac{{\frac{{\partial g(x,y)}}{{\partial x}}h(x,y) - g(x,y)\frac{{\partial h(x,y)}}{{dx}}}}{{h(x,y)^2 }} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

is an example of the partial with respect to x where you already know how to properly take partial derivatives of functions.

Thanks for the help guys but I am still getting something wrong, which I am guessing is a small but stupid mistake...

for df/dx i get 1/(1+x) . -1(log(1+y))^-2 (unless that's right?)

for df/dy I am confused...whats the derivative of a log of a constant :S

Thanks for any help =)

Well the derivative of a constant is 0. And the log of a constant is just another number.

Related to Partial Derivatives: Evaluating Quotients with Multiple Variables

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you evaluate a quotient with multiple variables?

To evaluate a quotient with multiple variables, you will need to take the partial derivatives of both the numerator and denominator with respect to the variable you are interested in. Then, you can simplify the resulting expression to find the final value.

3. Can you give an example of evaluating a quotient with multiple variables?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2. To evaluate the quotient of f(x,y) and x, we would first take the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x, which is 2x. Then, we would take the partial derivative of x with respect to x, which is 1. Finally, we can simplify the expression to 2x/1 = 2x.

4. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful in many areas of science and engineering, as they allow us to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables changes. This can help us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives?

Yes, partial derivatives have some limitations. They can only be used for functions with multiple variables, and they assume that all other variables are held constant. Additionally, they may not always accurately reflect the behavior of a system, as some systems may have complex interactions between variables that cannot be captured by partial derivatives alone.