Partial Derivatives of an Integral

In summary: Cdfrac%2520%257Bd%257D%2520%257Bdx%257D%255Cint%2520_%257By%257D%255E%257Bx%257Df%255Cleft(%2520t%255Cright)%2520dt%253Df%255Cleft(%2520x%255Cright)%2520%255D
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Find the partial derivatives:
f(x,y)= integral[x,y] cos(t^2)dt, find f_x(x,y) and f_y(x,y)

Homework Equations

I know from calculus that the derivative of an integral is the function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the integral of [x to y] cos(t^2)dt=sin(t^2)= sin(y^2)-sin(x^2)

and then found the partial derivative of this.
fx=-2xcos(x^2)
fy=2ycos(y^2)

I have seen other procedures and I think I'm wrong. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:
I found that the integral of [x to y] cos(t^2)dt=sin(t^2)
This is wrong. One way to see that is to compute d/dt sin(t^2).

You need to use the idea you described under "relevant equations". You should start by making your statement of that idea more precise. If g:ℝ→ℝ, then d/dx (what?) =g(x).

differentiate the integral as a function of x, how is that possible?
I would need a relation between x or y and t; however, none is shown other than the integral and the function.

Last edited:
If you can fill in the "what?" in the formula I typed, the rest is easy. t can't have a relationship with either x or y, since t is being integrated over.

I don't know what to write instead of "what". It could be the integral [x y]: cos(x^2)dx

Be more general. Fill in the blank with a general expression and then apply it to this problem. How can one, in general, express the antiderivative of [itex]g(x)[/itex]? You already pointed this out in your first post. Now write the general expression.

knowLittle said:
I don't know what to write instead of "what". It could be the integral [x y]: cos(x^2)dx
Forget about this problem for now, and just explain what you meant when you said that you know that "the derivative of an integral is the function"?

Ok.
I have: integral of [ f(x) ], then the derivative of: integral of [f(x)] = f(x).

or (d/dx)(integral(f(x))=f(x)

Thank you for your help so far. I can't see things clearly often.

You're still not specific enough. What are the limits of the integration in the formula d/dx[some kind of integral involving f]=f(x)?

(d/dx)INTEGRAL{f(x)dx }=f(x)

No, you need to specify what interval you're integrating over.

Edit: OK, I'll just tell you: For all ##a\in\mathbb R##,
$$\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t)dt=f(x).$$

Fredrik said:
If you can fill in the "what?" in the formula I typed, the rest is easy. t can't have a relationship with either x or y, since t is being integrated over.

I thought that "t" can't have a relationship with either x or y?
Why do you relate them?

I didn't. t clearly doesn't depend on x, and since it makes no difference what variable you use as the dummy variable in the integration (i.e. you can substitute s for t without changing the value of the integral), x doesn't depend on t either.

Ok, so "t" can be any value from [a , x]?

I wouldn't say that. Consider the simpler example ##\sum_{k=1}^2a_k##. What value does k have here? The notation is just an abbreviation for ##a_1+a_2##, and k doesn't even appear in that. k only appears in the abbreviation, and can be replaced with any other variable without changing the meaning of the notation. So I wouldn't say that k can be any value in {1,2}. I would say that k isn't even a part of the expression we're working with, and that it's never assigned a value.

Similarly, ##\int_a^x f(t)dt## is an abbreviation for something that doesn't involve t. This is why these things are called "dummy variables".

Thank you, It's much more clear now. So, for the original problem. It would be:
(d/dx) integral from [a to x] f(t)dt =f(x)

what would "a" be in the original problem?

You specified that ##f(x,y)=\int_y^x\cos^2 t\, dt##. Not sure I can tell you much more than that because of the forum rule that requires me to only give hints, not solutions. I suggest that you try to compute ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x,y)##, using that definition of f and the formula I posted. (The f that appears in that formula is of course an arbitrary integrable function).

Right. Now you have almost solved the problem. Can you figure out how to compute the other partial derivative? (I have to do something else for the next hour or two, so I won't reply as fast).

You might want to check out the LaTeX guide for the forum. You can also click the quote button next to one of my posts to see how I'm doing the math. (The \, is a small space. It's probably obvious what the other codes I used represent).

Ok, thank you so far.

## \dfrac {d} {dy}\int _{y}^{x}\cos ^{2}\left( t\right) dt=\cos ^{2}\left( y\right) ##

So to solve the original problem:
## f_{x}\left( x,y\right) =\cos ^{2}\left( x\right) ##
and ## f_{y}\left( x,y\right) =\cos ^{2}y ## ?

knowLittle said:
## f_{x}\left( x,y\right) =\cos ^{2}\left( x\right) ##
This one is correct.

knowLittle said:
and ## f_{y}\left( x,y\right) =\cos ^{2}y ## ?
This one is not. Can you figure out why?

Edit: deleted

Last edited:
By the way, I made a mistake with the original equation in the post of today at 3:15pm.
The right equation is:
## f\left( x,y\right) =\int _{x}^{y}\cos \left( t^{2}\right) dt ##
So,
## f_{x}\left( x,y\right) =\cos \left( x^{2}\right) ## is this still correct?

I think that this is correct:

## \dfrac {d} {dx}\int _{x}^{y}\cos t^{2}dt=-\cos x^{2} ##

and

## \dfrac {d} {dy}\int _{x}^{y}\cos \left( t^{2}\right) dt=\cos \left( y^{2}\right) ##

knowLittle said:
By the way, I made a mistake with the original equation in the post of today at 3:15pm.
The right equation is:
## f\left( x,y\right) =\int _{x}^{y}\cos \left( t^{2}\right) dt ##
So,
## f_{x}\left( x,y\right) =\cos \left( x^{2}\right) ## is this still correct?
Ah, OK, I got the definition of f wrong in post #17. We have
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\int_x^y\cos t^2\, dt =\cos y^2$$ and
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_x^y\cos t^2\, dt =-\cos x^2.$$ So if ##f(x,y)=\int_x^y\cos^2\, dt##, then the last equality in the quote above is wrong (but post #25 is right).

By the way, the times displayed depend on what time zone you're in.

Thank you. It's been great to explore mathematics and Physics Forums with you. :)

Related to Partial Derivatives of an Integral

1. What is a partial derivative of an integral?

A partial derivative of an integral is the derivative of an integral function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is used to find the rate of change of the integral function with respect to that specific variable.

2. How is a partial derivative of an integral calculated?

A partial derivative of an integral is calculated by first integrating the function with respect to the variable of interest, and then differentiating the result with respect to that same variable. This process is known as "differentiation under the integral sign."

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives of an integral?

Partial derivatives of an integral are useful in various areas of mathematics and science, such as optimization problems, physics, and engineering. They allow us to analyze how a certain variable affects the overall behavior of the integral function, and can help us find maximum or minimum values.

4. Can a partial derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative of an integral can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of that particular variable. However, it is important to note that a negative partial derivative does not necessarily mean that the integral function is decreasing overall.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating partial derivatives of an integral?

No, there is no specific formula for calculating partial derivatives of an integral. The process of calculating them depends on the specific function and the variable of interest. However, there are general rules and techniques, such as the chain rule and substitution, that can be used to calculate partial derivatives in different scenarios.