Partial Differential Equation in Special Relativity

In summary: If you calculate them and they are equal, then you have "solved the wave equation in one space dimension."
Nerrad

Homework Statement

(a) Light waves satisfy the wave equation ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}## where ##c## is the speed of light.
Consider change of coordinates $$x'=x-Vt$$ $$t'=t$$
where V is a constant. Use the chain rule to show that ##u_x=u_{x'}## and ##u_{tt}=-Vu_{x'}+u_{t'}##
Find ##u_{xx},u_{tt},## and hence ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}##, in terms of derivatives with respect to ##x'## and ##t'##.
Deduce that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x,t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x',t'## coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've worked out that $$u_{xx}=u_{x'x'}$$ and $$u_{tt}=u_{t't'}+v^2(u_{x'x'})-2v(u_{x'xt})$$ so technically ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}## expressed in terms of derivatives with respect to ##x'## and ##t'## would just be $$u_{t't'}+v^2(u_{x'x'})-2v(u_{x'xt})-c^2(u_{x'x'})=0$$ right?
But how do I do the bit where question says "Deduce that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x,t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x',t'## coordinates." I don't know where to start with this?Would this be done conceptually or mathematically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nerrad said:
I don't know where to start with this?
Start with the wave equation.

kuruman said:
Start with the wave equation.
Can you give a little bit more hints than that please? Thanks

I give up. Can you guide me through this. Please. Thanks

Last edited:
Is it simply due to the fact that ##u_{xx}-c^2u_{tt} \neq u_{x'x'}-c^2u_{t't'} ##, so that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x##,##t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x'##,##t'## coordinates? Or do I deduce it mathematically?

If you calculate ##u_{xx}-c^2u_{tt}## and ##u_{x'x'}-c^2u_{t't'}## and it turns out that the two expressions are not equal, then you have "deduced it mathematically."

Likes Nerrad

1. What is the concept of a "partial differential equation" in special relativity?

A partial differential equation (PDE) in special relativity is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives with respect to space and time variables. It is used to describe how physical quantities change over time and space in a relativistic system.

2. How is the concept of "relativity" reflected in these equations?

The concept of relativity is reflected in these equations through the inclusion of the Lorentz transformation, which accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction in a relativistic system. This allows for the PDEs to accurately describe physical phenomena in different frames of reference.

3. What are some common applications of PDEs in special relativity?

PDEs in special relativity have numerous applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and high-energy physics. They are used to model phenomena such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the behavior of particles in accelerators.

4. How do PDEs in special relativity differ from those in classical mechanics?

PDEs in special relativity differ from those in classical mechanics due to the incorporation of the Lorentz transformation and the concept of space-time invariance. This results in a different set of equations that can accurately describe phenomena at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. What role do PDEs play in our understanding of the universe?

PDEs in special relativity are essential in our understanding of the universe as they allow us to accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems at high speeds and in extreme conditions. They have played a crucial role in the development of theories such as general relativity and the Standard Model of particle physics.