Proving a Partial Differential Equation: Is the Sum of Second Derivatives Zero?

In summary, the homework statement asks for help solving an equation involving second derivatives of V. The attempted solution provides two derivatives of V, but does not seem to provide a solution. The problem may be related to the use of the product rule on the first derivative.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi
I need some help in proving that [itex]\partial^2 V / \partial x^2[/itex] + [itex]\partial^2 V / \partial y^2[/itex] = 0 , when V = 1/2ln(x^2+y^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex]\partial V / \partial x[/itex] here's what I get: (1/x^2+y^2) *2x*1/2 = x * (x^2+y^2)^-1
and for [itex]\partial V / \partial y[/itex]
(x^2+y^2)^-1 *y ...

As you can see if i differentiate them once , I don't end up with any terms which may cancel each other to get zero..
what am I over looking ? PDE is new to me. I know we keep one variable constant in respect to other,etc..
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:

Homework Statement

Hi
I need some help in proving that [itex]\partial^2 V / \partial x^2[/itex] + [itex]\partial^2 V / \partial y^2[/itex] = 0 , when V = 1/2ln(x^2+y^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex]\partial V / \partial x[/itex] here's what I get: (1/x^2+y^2) *2x*1/2 = x * (x^2+y^2)^-1
and for [itex]\partial V / \partial y[/itex]
(x^2+y^2)^-1 *y ...

As you can see if i differentiate them once , I don't end up with any terms which may cancel each other to get zero..
what am I over looking ? PDE is new to me. I know we keep one variable constant in respect to other,etc..
Thanks

The equation has second derivatives of V. Why are you stopping with the first derivative? You were doing fine.

Dick said:
The equation has second derivatives of V. Why are you stopping with the first derivative? You were doing fine.

I should have posted my complete answer which I know is wrong...
Here is the second derivative for x , keeping y fixed.

=>
-(x^2+y^2)^-1 * (x^2+y^2)^-2 *2x^2...

Which seems wrong...

ibysaiyan said:
I should have posted my complete answer which I know is wrong...
Here is the second derivative for x , keeping y fixed.

=>
-(x^2+y^2)^-1 * (x^2+y^2)^-2 *2x^2...

Which seems wrong...

It is wrong. But I can see parts of the right answer in it. Did you use the product rule on the first derivative? Can you show your steps?

Dick said:
It is wrong. But I can see parts of the right answer in it. Did you use the product rule on the first derivative? Can you show your steps?

Yes, that I have. Sure :
Let u = x , v = (x^2+y^2)^-1
Then using product rule :

f'' (x,v) = u' (v) + (u)v' ( Differentiating w.r.t x , keeping y constant)
=>
1* (x^2+y^2)^-1 + x [ -1 ( x^2+y^2)^-2 * 2x) ]

There's something about this expression which makes me think that it's wrong.. ( (x^2+y^2)^-2 , shouldn't the right version be : -1(x^2)^-2 * 2x ?

No, it's right. That doesn't look a lot like what you posted before. Were you just being sloppy? Here I'll simplify it a little and translate into TeX:
[tex]\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)}-\frac{2 x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]

Dick said:
No, it's right. That doesn't look a lot like what you posted before. Were you just being sloppy? Here I'll simplify it a little and translate into TeX:
[tex]\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)}-\frac{2 x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]

Oh silly me.. ok then in that case my second partial derivative of y is :

[tex]\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)}-\frac{2 y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]
It still doesn't answer the question.. they want me to prove that the sum of these two derivatives = 0 , am I right ?

ibysaiyan said:
Oh silly me.. ok then in that case my second partial derivative of y is :

[tex]\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)}-\frac{2 y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]
It still doesn't answer the question.. they want me to prove that the sum of these two derivatives = 0 , am I right ?

Yes, prove the sum is zero. Add them and do some algebra. Put stuff over a common denominator.

Dick said:
Yes, prove the sum is zero. Add them and do some algebra. Put stuff over a common denominator.

Oh.. that makes sense.. Thanks for your help!

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves functions of multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe relationships between the rates of change of a system with respect to its various parameters.

How are partial differential equations different from ordinary differential equations?

Partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables, while ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable. This means that PDEs are used to describe phenomena in multiple dimensions, such as in space and time, while ODEs are used for phenomena in a single dimension. Additionally, PDEs often require more advanced mathematical techniques for their solution.

What are some applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in economics, biology, and other social sciences to model complex systems.

What are the main methods for solving partial differential equations?

There are several methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.

Are there any open problems or challenges in the study of partial differential equations?

Yes, there are still many open problems and challenges in the study of PDEs. Some of these include finding general analytical solutions for certain classes of PDEs, developing more efficient numerical methods for solving PDEs, and understanding the behavior of solutions to nonlinear PDEs. There is also ongoing research in the application of PDEs to new areas of study, such as image processing and machine learning.