Partial fraction? or using properties?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation using integration. The person is unsure about whether to use a specific property or integrate by partial fractions. They receive tips on how to proceed and continue to work through the problem until they reach a mistake and are given guidance on how to correct it.
shseo0315

Homework Statement

dx/dt = 9-4x^2 , x(0) = 0

when I integrate, am I supposed to use the property below?

int du / (a^2 - u^2) = 1/2a ln(u+a / u-a) + c

or

how do I integrate this by using partial fraction?

tips anyone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use that integral to solve your integral. It would require some fancy footwork, so to speak, that is, getting your value of a correct.

You can integrate by partial fractions if you factor 9-4*x^2. Or you can use your formula after you do the u-substitution u=2*x. Your choice.

Dick said:
You can integrate by partial fractions if you factor 9-4*x^2. Or you can use your formula after you do the u-substitution u=2*x. Your choice.

using the property above, I get (1/12)ln((2x+3)(2x-3)) + c = t

then, e^12t = (2x+3)(2x-3) + e^c

e^12t - e^c = (2x+3)(2x-3)

here how can I go further to have x equals to whatever.

thanks a lot. it really helps.

shseo0315 said:
using the property above, I get (1/12)ln((2x+3)(2x-3)) + c = t

then, e^12t = (2x+3)(2x-3) + e^c

e^12t - e^c = (2x+3)(2x-3)

here how can I go further to have x equals to whatever.

thanks a lot. it really helps.

You've got two mistakes there. i) Shouldn't it be (2x+3)/(2x-3)? Not the product? And worse, ii) When you exponentiate e^(A+c) you get (e^A)*(e^c), not e^A+e^c. Do you see where you did that?

Related to Partial fraction? or using properties?

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational expression into simpler fractions. This is useful in algebraic manipulations and integration of rational functions.

2. What are the properties of partial fractions?

The properties of partial fractions include: (1) the fraction must be proper, meaning that the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, (2) the denominator must be factorable into linear and irreducible quadratic factors, (3) each factor in the denominator must have a unique constant in the numerator, and (4) the numerator must have a degree less than the degree of the corresponding factor in the denominator.

3. How do you use partial fractions to solve integrals?

To use partial fractions to solve integrals, you first decompose the rational expression into simpler fractions using the properties mentioned above. Then, you can integrate each of the simpler fractions separately. This can be helpful in solving integrals that involve rational expressions.

4. Can you use partial fractions to simplify polynomial expressions?

Yes, partial fractions can be used to simplify polynomial expressions by breaking down the expression into simpler fractions. This can make it easier to perform algebraic manipulations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

5. What are some applications of partial fractions in real life?

Partial fractions have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. In engineering, partial fractions are used to solve differential equations and in signal processing. In physics, they are used in the study of resonance and in circuit analysis. In economics, they are used in the analysis of supply and demand curves and in optimization problems.