Partial Fractions: Solving Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the form of a partial fraction decomposition and determining the numerical values of the coefficients for a given equation. A possible solution is provided, but it is noted that it is not a complete expansion and the topic is suggested for review.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Write out the form of the partial fraction decomposition of not determine the numerical values of the coefficients.

Homework Equations

x^4 -2x^3 + x^2 +2x -1 / x^2 -2x +1

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the division and I got x^2 + ((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1)

So I took
((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1) = Ax + B / x^2 -2x +1

Is this right? It has been forever since I did these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Write out the form of the partial fraction decomposition of not determine the numerical values of the coefficients.

Homework Equations

x^4 -2x^3 + x^2 +2x -1 / x^2 -2x +1

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the division and I got x^2 + ((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1)

So I took
((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1) = Ax + B / x^2 -2x +1

Is this right? It has been forever since I did these.

It's right, but it's not a complete partial fraction expansion. x^2-2x+1 factors into (x-1)(x-1). Review partial fractions.

Related to Partial Fractions: Solving Homework Equations

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a rational expression into simpler fractions. This can make it easier to solve equations involving fractions or integrate functions.

2. When do I use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are typically used when dealing with rational expressions that involve polynomials of different degrees in the numerator and denominator. They can also be used when integrating rational functions.

3. How do I find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational expression?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, you set up an equation with unknown coefficients for each factor. From there, you solve for the coefficients by equating the original rational expression to the partial fraction decomposition.

4. Can you give an example of solving a homework equation using partial fractions?

Sure! Let's say we have the equation (x+1)/(x^2+3x+2). We first factor the denominator as (x+2)(x+1). Then, we set up the equation A/(x+2) + B/(x+1) = (x+1)/(x^2+3x+2). Solving for A and B, we get A = 1 and B = -1. Therefore, the partial fraction decomposition is 1/(x+2) - 1/(x+1).

5. Are there any special cases when using partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when using partial fractions. These include when the denominator has repeated factors, when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator, and when the denominator has complex roots. In these cases, additional steps may be necessary to find the partial fraction decomposition.