Partial Fractions (with trig functions)

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of sinx(x)dx divided by the polynomial cos^2(x)+cos(x)-2, through the use of partial fractions. The attempt to solve the problem involved factoring the denominator, setting up a partial fractions equation, and using a substitution. However, there were some errors in the calculations and the correct approach would be to use the identity shown above.
zooboodoo

Homework Statement

Integral(sinx(x)dx/(cos^2(x)+cos(x)-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do first was factor the denominator, so i got (cos(x)-1)(cos(x)+2)
from there, I set up my partial fractions equation trying to solve B(cos(x)-1) + A(cos(x)+2) = sin(x)

at this point i tried plugging in 0 for x -> A(0) + B(3) = 0 ? i didn't feel good about this, after working through the remainder using this i solved for A=0 and B=(-1), which left me with
integral( -dx/(cos(x)+2), at this point I thought there may have been a 1/2 / double angle formula that I could use to try to simplify the equation; cosx^2 = 1+cos2x / 2, however I havn't felt good about the solving for A=0 and losing a term? any insight would be great, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, partial fractions only work with polynomials in the numerator and denominator.
Try a u-substitution with u=cosx and then partial fractions.

Partial fractions work perfectly here. A substitution is not needed to apply partial fractions, here after partial fractions is a good time to change variable because different changes can be used for each term.
A(0) + B(3) = 0 this is good, but there is a mistake elsewhere as A=0 B=-1 does not work you need another equation.
I would have started with the identity
[tex]\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos^2(x)+\cos(x)-2}=\frac{-\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{3\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-2\sin^3\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are partial fractions with trig functions?

Partial fractions with trig functions is a method used in calculus to simplify complex rational expressions involving trigonometric functions. It involves breaking down the expression into simpler fractions with trigonometric terms in the numerator and a polynomial expression in the denominator.

2. How do you solve partial fractions with trig functions?

To solve partial fractions with trig functions, you need to follow a few steps: first, factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, write the partial fraction decomposition by setting up variables for each distinct factor in the denominator. Next, solve for the coefficients by equating the numerators of the original expression and the partial fraction decomposition. Finally, integrate the resulting fractions to get the solution.

3. What is the purpose of using partial fractions with trig functions?

The purpose of using partial fractions with trig functions is to simplify complex rational expressions involving trigonometric functions. This allows us to integrate these expressions more easily and accurately in calculus.

4. Can partial fractions with trig functions be used in other areas of math?

Yes, partial fractions with trig functions can also be used in other areas of math such as differential equations and complex analysis. They are a useful tool for simplifying and solving complicated expressions involving trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when using partial fractions with trig functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when using partial fractions with trig functions. These include cases where the denominator has repeated factors, irreducible quadratic factors, or complex roots. In these cases, additional steps may be required in the solving process.