1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions (with trig functions)

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integral(sinx(x)dx/(cos^2(x)+cos(x)-2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I tried to do first was factor the denominator, so i got (cos(x)-1)(cos(x)+2)
    from there, I set up my partial fractions equation trying to solve B(cos(x)-1) + A(cos(x)+2) = sin(x)

at this point i tried plugging in 0 for x -> A(0) + B(3) = 0 ? i didn't feel good about this, after working through the remainder using this i solved for A=0 and B=(-1), which left me with
    integral( -dx/(cos(x)+2), at this point I thought there may have been a 1/2 / double angle formula that I could use to try to simplify the equation; cosx^2 = 1+cos2x / 2, however I havn't felt good about the solving for A=0 and losing a term? any insight would be great, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2
    As far as I know, partial fractions only work with polynomials in the numerator and denominator.
    Try a u-substitution with u=cosx and then partial fractions.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Partial fractions work perfectly here. A substitution is not needed to apply partial fractions, here after partial fractions is a good time to change variable because different changes can be used for each term.
    A(0) + B(3) = 0 this is good, but there is a mistake elsewhere as A=0 B=-1 does not work you need another equation.
    I would have started with the identity
    [tex]\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos^2(x)+\cos(x)-2}=\frac{-\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{3\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-2\sin^3\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook