Particle motion in non-uniform electric field

In summary, two adjacent parallel plate capacitors are used to deflect charged particles in a certain direction. The lower capacitor plates are grounded, while the upper plates have some voltage V1 and V2. A positively charged particle with mass m enters horizontally at point A and exits at point B, with the same vertical position as A but with a non-horizontal velocity component Vy. The equations F = qE and a = F/m are used to calculate the voltages V1 and V2. The equations x = Vi*t and y = -(qE/2m)t^2 are used to determine the trajectory of the particle, with Vfx = Vi and Vfy = -(qE/m)*(L/Vi). The voltage across the bottom
mitleid
Two adjacent parallel plate capacitors are used to deflect charged particles as shown in the figure. The relevant dimensions l and h are shown. The lower capacitor plates are grounded while the upper plates are kept at some voltages V1 and V2, which are to be found in this problem given the following.

A positively charged particle q with mass m enters horizontally at point A. After executing some trajectory, the particle exits at point B, which has the same vertical position as point A. However, the velocity at B is not horizontal, and has some component Vy. What are the potentials? Neglect the effects of gravity.

graph1.jpg

Some relevant equations :
F = qE
Acceleration (a) = F / m = qE/m

mechanics:
x = Vi*t
y = - (qE/2m)t^2
Vfx = Vi
Vfy = -(qE/m)*(1/Vi)

I think I have most of what I need here. This next figure illustrates how I think the two trajectories take place, and I wanted to check this before I went further.

graph1b.jpg

Since the bottom plates are grounded, voltage across them is equal to 0. E points from higher to lower potentials, so the field would expected to be downwards.

A downward field would correspond to the first hypothetical trajectory. However, for Vy to be "positive" or upwards, an upward field would have to take place for the second trajectory. Thus V = 0 would have to be higher than V2, making it negative or also equal to 0.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
x = Vi*t
y = - (qE/2m)t^2
Vfx = Vi
Vfy = -(qE/m)*(L/Vi)

That's what you meant right?

Looks good to me.

xf = L
yf = (-qE/2m)(L/Vi)^2
Vfx = Vi
Vfy = -(qE/m)*(L/Vi)

so that's after the first stage...

what do you get after the second stage...

the curve should be smooth... you have an abrupt change... instead the trajectory is a smooth curve that goes downwards reaches a minimum then goes back upwards.

graph1c.jpg

There we go.

Since it enters and exits at the same height, and the distance along each plate is the same (L), [tex]\Delta[/tex]y MUST be the same for each side, but opposite polarity. It could go up and then down (and have a negative y component velocity), or down and then up, which applies here.

Hence |V1| = |V2|.

Additionally, Va - Vb = E*h, where Va is the voltage on the top plate, and Vb is the bottom. Vb = 0 since it is grounded, so V1 = E * h

Solving for E from the above equation for Vfy :

E1 = - Vfy (m/q) (Vi/2L)

I multiply this by h to get V1, which is equal in magnitude to V2.

However... the direction of E is different for each plate. Do I need to solve for each field...? I would have to start making up variables for the state of the particle @ distance L, to get the initial velocity for the motion through the second plates. Maybe I should just keep my first answer...

I don't think |V1| equals |V2| ...

continue to solve through kinemtics as you were doing... call the field in the first stage E1... the field in the second stage E2... you can get the voltages afterwards using V = Eh...

the object enters the second field at an angle downwards... keeps going down as it enters the second field... gets to some minimum value and goes back up.

but all that doesn't matter... just let the equations take care of that...

Last edited:
So more like this...

graph1d.jpg

All right. So I will separate into initial stage, stage 1 (after traveling distance L) and stage 2 (after traveling distance 2L).

I need to know[tex]\Delta[/tex]y at stage 1, but to get this I also need E1.

v1y = - (qE1/2m)(L/vi)

E1 = - v1y (2m/q)(vi/L)

v1x = vi

Hmm. i guess since this is a trajectory, when vy is a minimum it will be equal to zero. not sure if that helps me at this point though...

xf = L
yf = (-qE1/2m)(L/Vi)^2
Vfx = Vi
Vfy = -(qE1/m)*(L/Vi)

the above is after the first stage...

so now we have E2 in the second stage acting upward...

y = y0 + vy*t + (1/2)at^2

y = (-qE1/2m)(L/Vi)^2 - (qE1/m)*(L/Vi)*t + (1/2)qE2/m*t^2

measuring t from the moment it enters the second stage...

it reaches the end of the second stage at t = L/Vi... it has to get back to y=0.

plug in t = L/Vi and y = 0, into:

y = (-qE1/2m)(L/Vi)^2 -(qE1/m)*(L/Vi)*t + (1/2)qE2/m*t^2

that gives a relationship between E1 and E2. Solve for E2 in terms of E1.

finally use

v_ver = v0y + (qE2/m)*t

when it exits the second stage it has a vertical component Vy (I think this is what the question says... it exits with some "component" Vy... does that mean vertical component?)

so:

Vy = -(qE1/m)*(L/Vi) + (qE2/m)*(L/Vi)

plug in E2 in terms of E1... then solve for E1 (which will be in terms of L, Vi, Vy, and m)

Then you can get E2...

V1 = hE1. V2 = -hE2.

1. What is particle motion in a non-uniform electric field?

Particle motion in a non-uniform electric field refers to the movement of charged particles in an electric field that is not constant in strength or direction. This type of motion is influenced by the varying electric field and the properties of the particles, such as their charge and mass.

2. How does a non-uniform electric field affect particle motion?

A non-uniform electric field can cause particles to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction as they move through it. The strength and direction of the electric field at any given point will determine the magnitude and direction of the force on the particles, which will in turn impact their motion.

3. What factors influence particle motion in a non-uniform electric field?

The properties of the particles, such as their charge and mass, as well as the strength and direction of the electric field, are the main factors that influence particle motion in a non-uniform electric field. Other factors include the shape and size of the particles, as well as any external forces acting on them.

4. How can we predict the motion of particles in a non-uniform electric field?

To predict the motion of particles in a non-uniform electric field, we can use equations such as the Lorentz force equation, which takes into account the electric field, the velocity of the particle, and its charge. We can also use computer simulations and experiments to observe and analyze the motion of particles in a non-uniform electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle motion in a non-uniform electric field?

Particle motion in a non-uniform electric field is used in many technological applications, such as in particle accelerators and mass spectrometers. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in Earth's atmosphere and in space, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies for energy storage and conversion.