Particle Movement Homework: Find x,y,z Velocity & Acceleration

In summary, the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration can be described by the following expressions:Position (R) = ln(1+t)i + (et-1)j + tkVelocity (V) = 1/(1+t)i + etj + kAcceleration (A) = -(1+t)^-2i + 0j + 0k
tjbateh

Homework Statement

A particle moves so that its position (in meters) as a function of time (in seconds) is R= ln(1+t)i+ (et-1)j + tk . Write expressions for (a) x-, (b) y- and (c) z-components of its velocity as well as the (d) x-, (e) y- and (f) z-components of its acceleration as functions of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x-component= 1/1+t
y-component= et
z-component= 1

How do I find their components of acceleration as a function of time??

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the derivative of a particular position component with respect to time twice. For example

[tex]v_{x}=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]a_{x}=\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}[/tex]

Ok so for the x-component 1/1+t...the derivative of that would be ...?? I am not good with fractions..Once I have that, I put it over 2t?

Write the fraction as (1 + t)-1, then take its derivative the usual way.

so...-(1+t)^-2?

then the next one will just say e^t?
And the final one is 0??

I found that derivative, but what do you mean with the twice time? Or is my work done?

You have found that vx=-(1+t)-2. To find the acceleration, you need to take the derivative one more time. So, to get the acceleration, you need to take the derivative two times, one to get the velocity and one more to get the acceleration. Once you get that, your work is not done yet. You need to repeat for the y and z components of the position.

Ok I put it for the x ..2(1+t)^-3...and it was wrong..That is the second derivative though?

That is the second derivative of x, i.e. the x-component of the acceleration. What exactly do you mean "put it for the x"? What was the question that you used it as an answer to?

I used that answer for part D, the x-component of acceleration.

I am sorry I misled you. :redface: I looked at what you had written down

x-component = 1/(1+t)

and I assumed that this was the x-component of the position. It is actually the velocity component. So you need to take the derivative of that to get the acceleration, which in this case gives you ax=-(1+t)-2. I apologize for the confusion it might have caused you. Your work was actually done when you asked if it was.

No problem! I put the first derivatives in as the answers, and its right! Thanks for the help, and don't worry about the confusion, its ok!

FAQ: Particle Movement Homework: Find x,y,z Velocity & Acceleration

1. What is the purpose of finding x,y,z velocity and acceleration in particle movement?

Finding x,y,z velocity and acceleration helps us understand how a particle is moving in three-dimensional space. This information is important for studying and predicting the behavior of particles in various systems and environments.

2. How do you calculate x,y,z velocity and acceleration?

X,y,z velocity can be calculated by finding the change in position over time in each direction. Acceleration can be calculated by finding the change in velocity over time in each direction.

3. Why is it important to find both velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are both important because they describe different aspects of a particle's motion. Velocity tells us how fast and in what direction a particle is moving, while acceleration tells us how much the velocity is changing per unit of time.

4. What units are used to measure x,y,z velocity and acceleration?

X,y,z velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used depending on the situation.

5. What factors can affect x,y,z velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the force acting on the particle, the mass of the particle, and any external influences such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, changes in direction or speed can also affect the velocity and acceleration of a particle.