Finding Particle Paths: Solving a Complimentary Function

In summary, the problem is to find the particle path of the flow given by u = (-z + cos(at)) j + (y + sin(at)) k. This can be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients by writing the particular solutions as yp = c1 cos at + d1 sin at and zp = c2 cos at + d2 sin at, and plugging them into the equations y' = -z + cos at and z' = y + sin at. The coefficients can then be matched and solved to find the constants.
maggie56
I don't understand how to find particle paths, for example i have a question that states;

u= (-z + cos(at)) j + (y + sin(at)) k

for the complementary function

y' = -z
x' = y

so y''=-y therefore y = A cos t + B sin t and z = A sin t - B cos t

Now for the particular integral, i know the answer is
y=1/(a-1) sin (at) and z = -1/(a-1) cos (at)
i assume this has been found using a linear combination of cos at and sin at but i don't see how

Could someone please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you state the problem as it was given to you word for word? You seem to be leaving out some critical information.

It just says what is the particle path of the flow u= (-z + cos(at)) j + (y + sin(at)) k
It is an example from a lecture, previously we had found the streamlines for the flow.

You can use the method of undetermined coefficients: Write the particular solutions as

yp = c1 cos at + d1 sin at
zp = c2 cos at + d2 sin at

and plug them into the equations

y' = -z + cos at
z' = y + sin at (I'm assuming here there was a typo in your original post, x' instead of z'.)

Match the coefficients of cos at and sin at to end up with four equations which you can solve to find the constants.

Last edited:
The "critical information" you were leaving out in your first post was that u is the velocity vector at point (x, y, z) and time t.

FAQ: Finding Particle Paths: Solving a Complimentary Function

1. What is the purpose of finding particle paths?

The purpose of finding particle paths is to understand the motion and behavior of particles in a given system. This can provide valuable insights into various physical phenomena and aid in the development of new technologies.

2. How is the complimentary function used in finding particle paths?

The complimentary function is used in solving the differential equations that describe the motion of particles. It helps to determine the initial conditions and boundary conditions of the system, which are crucial in predicting the paths of particles.

3. What are the main challenges in solving a complimentary function?

One of the main challenges in solving a complimentary function is determining the appropriate initial conditions and boundary conditions for the system. This requires a deep understanding of the physical principles involved and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Can the paths of particles be accurately predicted using complimentary function?

In most cases, the paths of particles can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using the complimentary function. However, there may be certain factors or uncertainties in the system that can affect the accuracy of the predictions.

5. How is finding particle paths relevant in real-world applications?

Finding particle paths has many practical applications, such as in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and electromagnetic field analysis. It is also used in the design and optimization of various engineering systems, such as aircraft, rockets, and electronic circuits.

Back