1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle physics: calculating the phase space factor for pion to muon decay

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    Show that the phase space factor [tex]\rho \propto p^2 dp/dE [/tex] for the decay [tex]\pi\rightarrow \mu + \upsilon[/tex] is

[tex]\rho \propto \frac{({m_\pi}^2 - {m_\mu}^2)^2}{{m_\pi}^3}E_\mu [/tex]

where E is the total energy.

I can show that [tex]p^2 = ({m_\pi}^2 - {m_\mu}^2)^2/4{m_\pi}^2[/tex]

but then I get stuck, I don't know how to evaluate dp/dE and I'm not sure what p here is refering to i.e. which particle and in which frame. I worked out the above expression for p2 taking it to be the energy for the muon (or neutrino) in the center of mass frame.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by phase-space factor, but I would assume that a Dirac delta (for 4-momentum conservation) has already been factored out, which means that you can treat the momentum as the final-state momentum of the particle of your choice. Usually, you choose the visible one (e.g. the muon).

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

ok cool at least that means the first bit is probably right :-)

The phase space factor is the number of final states per initial energy, for example the term in Fermi's Golden rule usually denoted by a [tex]\rho[/tex]. Yes I know you can write the phase space as a product of integrals over every particles momentum in which case a delta function has to be introduced to account for the fact that not every momentum is independent.

When I find the answer I will post it here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook