Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli's exclusion principle and quantum entanglement

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    The Pauli exclusion principle: is the quantum mechanical principle that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) may occupy the same quantum state simultaneously

Quantum entanglement: the type of interaction is such that each resulting member of a pair is properly described by the same quantum mechanical description (state)

Pauli's exclusion does not apply to bosons, for example photons, because they have (full) integer spins.

What is the difference between a half integer and a (full) integer spin?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The difference is 1/2.

:devil: The devil made me say that! :devil:

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

wow....good one, thanks. Your answer was very insightful.....:)

Owe you Tandoori Chicken...;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. Mar 15, 2012 #4
    The difference is certainly half odd integral, but not necessarily 1/2 :D
    And i believe the difference is that half integral spin particles permit spin multiplets with an even number of states, and integral spin particles permit spin multiplets with an odd number of states. Even and odd numbered multiplets correspond to different group representations of an SU(2) subgroup of the Lorentz algebra. I really don't know much of the details of all of this. Maybe try wikipedia for more of that.
    for example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_multiplet#Spin_projection_quantum_number_and_spin_multiplicity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook