PC Case mod issue (illuminated switch)

• Thread starter Kevin2341
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Switch
In summary, the conversation discusses the modification of a cathode light kit for a PC case. The individual has successfully added a switch but is experiencing a voltage drop across the LED within the switch. They consider increasing the voltage through a parallel connection but are concerned about the current draw. Suggestions are made to check the wiring of the illuminated switch.
Kevin2341
Hey all,

I bought a cathode light kit for my PC case a couple days ago and decided I wanted to mod it so that I could have a switch on the front of my pc to easily turn it on and off.

Today I spliced the wire and threw a switch on and soldered it up. I've tested the switch and it works. However, I think there is too much of a voltage drop across the LED within the switch.

The cathode tubes are rated for 12v into an inverter which turns 12v into 680v. The current draw is 5mA (the tubes themselves are 300mm long [11.8inches]).

Is there any way I can increase the voltage to get enough to the inverter? I thought about splicing it into a parallel connection, but that would drop my amps.

Any ideas? Or do I need to replace my illuminated switch with a non-illuminated?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The switch is probably wired incorrectly. Illuminated switches typically have three connections:
  • Supply
  • Switched Output
  • Lamp
With the second wire from the lamp internally connected to Output.
Get them sorted and it will likely work.

1. How do I install an illuminated switch on my PC case?

To install an illuminated switch on your PC case, you will need to first determine where you want the switch to be located. Then, you will need to drill a hole in the case for the switch to fit through. Next, you will need to connect the switch to the power supply and any other components that you want the switch to control. Finally, you can mount the switch in the hole you drilled and secure it in place.

2. What type of switch should I use for my PC case mod?

The type of switch you use for your PC case mod will depend on personal preference and the specific function you want the switch to perform. Common types of switches used in PC case mods include toggle switches, push button switches, and rocker switches.

3. Can I use any type of LED for the illuminated switch?

Yes, you can use any type of LED for the illuminated switch as long as it is compatible with the voltage of your power supply. It is recommended to use an LED with a built-in resistor to prevent damage to the LED.

4. How can I make my illuminated switch stand out in my PC case?

There are a few ways to make your illuminated switch stand out in your PC case. You can use a different color LED than the rest of your case's lighting, add a custom decal or label to the switch, or use a unique style of switch such as a vintage or industrial-looking switch.

5. Is it safe to modify my PC case and install an illuminated switch?

As long as you follow proper safety precautions and have a basic understanding of electronics, it is generally safe to modify your PC case and install an illuminated switch. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional or experienced individual.