What is the best package for multimedia on a pc

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the best package for multimedia on a PC is Adobe Creative Suite. It offers a comprehensive set of tools for creating and editing various forms of media, including graphics, video, and audio. The suite includes popular programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro, as well as lesser-known but equally powerful tools like After Effects and Audition. With its user-friendly interface and advanced features, Adobe Creative Suite is the go-to choice for professionals and amateurs alike in the world of multimedia production.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What is the best package for multimedia on a pc, the market is so confusing,
i want to be able to have sky digital, for my mom and dad, be able to watch dvds, and record from terestrial as well as sky, may be with a monitor as the
display.

Computer science news on Phys.org
wolram said:
What is the best package for multimedia on a pc, the market is so confusing,
i want to be able to have sky digital, for my mom and dad, be able to watch dvds, and record from terestrial as well as sky, may be with a monitor as the
display.

I'm a big fan of custom Linux setups for everything. What you're talking about sounds like a hybrid MythTV (PVR) and general computer video, with TV IN/OUT. Not hard to do, though somewhat expensive for the hardware.

DVDs play on a dvd player, tv on a tv card. http://www.hauppauge.com/" Probably has a tv card that can receive your digital tv signals, and all new tv cards have PVR functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, i will have a look at Hauppauge .

I don't think any companies have created a tv-card for digital cable...

Sorry Pengwuino, i forgot to add that our sky programs come via satallite.

Meaning you have to use the decoder box that came with the service...

Any tv card will do, in that case, but you'll want to go for some quality so you don't lose the digital quality when you convert to analog.

The Hauppauge cards have S-video input as well as composite and coaxial. The former is the highest quality you'll get from digital cable, and the Hauppauge line has PVR capability. Note that you'll need a digital audio cable and capable sound card/speaker system to get 5.1 sound and/or an RCA-to-1/8" stereo patch cable for stereo sound if you use composite or S-video. My decoder box only outputs through the digital audio cable if it detects a 5.1 stream, so you may need to connect both if you have a similar system.

You guys are helping lots thanks.

so i need a high quality tv and sound card a big hard drive to record direct,
a dvd play record and i can link up from the pc to the sky box, would i need
some software to make all this work together ?

wolram said:
so i need a high quality tv and sound card a big hard drive to record direct,
Yeah, but all those superlatives are relative things. A "big" hard drive isn't as big as it used to be (100gb of space will go a long way). And "high quality" for the sound card simply means any sound card not integrated into your motherboard (and even then, some) will provide surround sound.
some software to make all this work together ?
There are 3rd party software packages out there, but I suspect you'd end up just sticking with what comes with the tv card. One area of oem packages that could be better is removal of commercials and burning to dvd - those could be better integrated.

There are 3rd party software packages out there, but I suspect you'd end up just sticking with what comes with the tv card. One area of oem packages that could be better is removal of commercials and burning to dvd - those could be better integrated.

Ohh, that would be bliss :smile:

Wooly, I've got a Hauppauge digital internal TV card, which is absolutely smashing when you've got a good signal (ideally from a rooftop aerial), and less than hopeless when you don't. It's got a pretty good remote control which, along with the TV functions, will also control my iTunes, Winamp or Windows Media Player, and my system volume. I've not had any DVD players or owt like that going through it yet, but I know that (since it's digital) I can't tune in a VCR using the coaxial input, which is a slight disadvantage.

Hi Brewy, good to hear from you, i am just about to refine my list of wants
for this supper dupper entertainment center, i am sure i will get in a mess
sooner or later :smile: so i hope some of you can dig me out of the mire.

1. What is the best package for multimedia on a PC?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and needs. Some popular packages for multimedia on a PC include Adobe Creative Cloud, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, and CyberLink PowerDirector.

2. What features should I look for in a multimedia package for my PC?

When choosing a multimedia package for your PC, consider the features that are important to you such as video editing, audio manipulation, graphic design, and animation capabilities. Also, look for compatibility with your operating system and any necessary hardware requirements.

3. Is there a free multimedia package available for PCs?

Yes, there are several free multimedia packages available for PCs such as Blender, GIMP, and Audacity. These packages may not have as many features as their paid counterparts, but they can still be effective for basic multimedia tasks.

4. Can I use a multimedia package on multiple devices?

It depends on the specific package and licensing agreement. Some packages allow for installation on multiple devices, while others may have restrictions. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of the package before purchasing.

5. Are there any online tutorials or resources available for learning how to use a multimedia package on a PC?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and resources available for learning how to use multimedia packages on a PC. Many packages also have their own official tutorials and user guides. Additionally, there are many online courses and communities dedicated to teaching and sharing tips and tricks for using multimedia packages.