PCB design/fabrication quote - online or offline?

• Thread starter backdrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb Quote
In summary, The pros of trying to get online quotes from PCB vendors include the ability to get a lower cost estimate, the potential for getting quotes from multiple vendors, and the fact that you can contact the vendor directly. The cons of this process include that the quotes can be inaccurate and that the process can be time-consuming.
backdrill
For those who have tried getting online quotes from PCB vendors (i.e. for design or fabrication),
may I know your feedback from doing this?

I personally have not tried sending a request for quote on the PCB vendor's website but I am interested though quite hesistant in this process. I usually send a request for quotation directly to the vendor thru email. I'm just curious on getting quotes online.

What are the pro's and con's of this process?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do some googling. There are board houses out there that do low quantity. I have used Advanced Circuits. They would be a good choice for a startup company. Their web-site is www.4pcb.com.

Averagesupernova said:
[...] I have used Advanced Circuits. They would be a good choice for a startup company. Their web-site is www.4pcb.com.
Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with their free layout software PCB Artist?

Good thread here. I am contacting pcb house in Hong Kong for pricing. I got a quote of 4 layers, minimum run of about $200. But this is very approx as I did not sent the Gerber file, just asking for minimum of one panel FR4.

backdrill said:
For those who have tried getting online quotes from PCB vendors (i.e. for design or fabrication),
may I know your feedback from doing this?

I personally have not tried sending a request for quote on the PCB vendor's website but I am interested though quite hesistant in this process. I usually send a request for quotation directly to the vendor thru email. I'm just curious on getting quotes online.

What are the pro's and con's of this process?

It seems like your question is a bit contradicting when you say that you haven't not tried sending a quote request to a PCB vendor and then the next sentence, you say that you usually send a request directly to the vendor.. :confused:

Anyways, there are a few things that I always consider before sending my Gerber files to any company. Make sure that the company isn't a broker and is an actual PCB house. I have found that I can get the best price when I am dealing directly with the manufacturer (no matter what the PCB Broker tries to tell me).

The second thing I consider is if I should have them sign a NDA or Non-compete clause. On this rare occasion, the PCB company shouldn't have any problem with this.

The last thing I consider is if the company has knowledgeable sales reps that can answer my questions without sounding like an idiot. I understand that it is tough to find companies like this, but lately, I have been using a company called Custom Circuit Boards. They have been great so far, but I know that sh*t happens and things could always go south :approve:. (hopefully, it doesn't though)

There are some companies out there that provide automatic quoting forms on their site, but I haven't been a fan because I don't like how they can't quote complex boards accurately. In my opinion, they are a big waste of time for the majority of my PCBs. It really pisses me off when I use those forms and it says one price, but then I get a call from the sales rep saying that it has to be a higher price because of X, X, and X. :mad:

I usually stick to USA manufacturing companies (like the one I mentioned above) because the lead times I need are impossible for China.

I would suggest contacting a PCB Manufacturer and seeing what their capabilities and go from there. Build a relationship so you have someone that you can rely on in the future. Don't just go for the cheapest price out there (especially for more complex boards) because we all know that you do what you pay for. :wink:

Nowadays, PCB companies have their websites equipped with instant quote tools. And trying these tools is a hassle as you have to input more and more data. Even after providing data to these tools, its quotes and sometimes the official quotes have a lot of discrepancies.

In my experience if a PCB fab house doesn't have instant quoting on their website then its not worth the time for getting a quote. I've tried half a dozen or so PCB fab houses before and now I will only use two, Sunstone and Itead Studio.

If I'm getting boards made for research projects at uni or for work then I go with Sunstone. If its personal or hobby stuff I go with Itead Studio. Sunstone is very professional, quick turn around, and very reliable. Itead just provides hobby quality boards, has a 1 month turn around, but they are CHEAP (like $25 for ten 10x10cm boards).

www.sunstone.com
www.iteadstudio.com/store/

1. What information do I need to provide for a PCB design/fabrication quote?

In order to receive an accurate quote for a PCB design or fabrication, you will need to provide the following information:

• PCB dimensions (length, width, and thickness)
  • Number of layers
  • Quantity needed
  • Any specific materials or components required
  • Desired lead time
  • Any special requirements or features (such as blind vias or gold plating)

2. How do I choose between an online or offline PCB quote?

The decision between an online or offline PCB quote will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Online quotes tend to be quicker and more convenient, but may not be as detailed or personalized as an offline quote. Offline quotes may take longer to receive, but can be more comprehensive and may offer more room for negotiation.

3. Can I get a quote for both PCB design and fabrication?

Yes, many PCB manufacturers offer quotes for both design and fabrication services. If you require both, it may be more cost-effective and efficient to choose a manufacturer that can handle both aspects of the process.

4. How long does it typically take to receive a PCB quote?

The time it takes to receive a PCB quote can vary depending on the manufacturer and the complexity of your project. Online quotes may be received within a few hours, while offline quotes may take a few days. If you have a tight timeline, it is best to contact the manufacturer directly to inquire about their quote turnaround time.

5. Can I negotiate the price of a PCB quote?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate the price of a PCB quote. However, keep in mind that the final cost will depend on various factors such as the complexity of the design, materials used, and quantity needed. It is always recommended to discuss any concerns or budget constraints with the manufacturer to see if adjustments can be made to the quote.