1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE by Fourier Transform

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Solve [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=k\frac{\partial ^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}} - Gu[/tex]

where -inf < x < inf
    and u(x,0) = f(x)

(b) Does your solution suggest a simplifying transformation?

2. Relevant equations

I used the fourier transform as:
    F[f(x)] = F(w) = [tex] \frac{1}{2*pi} \int_{-inf}^{inf} f(x) e^{iwx} dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved part a using fourier transform. Although I'm not 100% certain, I think my answer is pretty plausible. I'm happy to elaborate on how I solved this, but I didn't want to type it all out for naught, because that's not really my question. Anyway, I got:

[tex] u(x,t) = \int_{-inf}^{inf} [ \frac{1}{2*pi} \int _{-inf}^{inf} f(x) e^{iwx} dx ] e^{(-w^{2}k-G)t} e^{-iwx} dw [/tex]

I'm not sure how to answer part b. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2
    So I think maybe the problem statement is asking me to change the order of integration and take the middle integral "offline" by substituting for x (as x - xbar, for example). Or maybe this is expected in part A...

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    following my own logic, I find:

[tex]
    u(x,t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-inf}^{inf} f(X) ( \int_{-inf}^{inf} e^{-iw(x-X)} e^{-(w^{2}k-G)t}dw)dX
    [/tex]

and I need to find a function g(x-X) such that the Fourier transform is:

[tex] G(w) = e^{(-w^{2}k-G)t} [/tex]

So the substitution must simplify G(w) such that i can get an analytical form of the inverse fourier transform... Any idears?

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4
    So it turns out that the substitution is a = t(K-G). Thus you can take the integral offline by evaluating the resultant Gaussian.

Thanks! At least PF lets me talk to myself better :P

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    Well, I dunno if this qualifies as a "transformation" -- again, welcoming comments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook