1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE - Fourier Method

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Obtain all solutions of the equation partial ^2 u/partial x^2 - partial u/partial y = u of the form u(x,y)=(A cos alpha x + B sin alphax)f(y) where A, B and alpha are constants. Find a solution of the equation for which u=0 when x=0; u=0 when x = pi, u=x when y=1.

2. Relevant equations The solution is u = -2 summuation from n=1 to infinity (((-1)^n)/n)e^((1+n)(1-y)) sin nx.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the next step is to use u(x,Y) = X(x)Y(y) so the equation then becomes (1/x) partial ^2 X/partial x^2 - (1/y)partial Y/partial y = u. Then I get lost, can I get some help on how I would solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, you forgot to divide the right hand side by u. You should have gotten the following:

[tex]\frac{X''}{X}-\frac{Y'}{Y}=1[/tex]

Since the first term on the left side depends only on x and the second depends only on y, and since they differ by a constant (namely 1), try setting [itex]X''/X=-\alpha^2[/itex] and [itex]Y'/Y=-\alpha^2-1[/itex]. That way you get the desired form of the solution and when you subtract them you get 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook