Solving PDE w/Fourier: Obtain All Solutions

In summary, the conversation involves obtaining all solutions of an equation and finding a specific solution for given conditions. The next step involves using a specific equation and solving for a constant to get the desired form of the solution.
walter9459

Homework Statement

Obtain all solutions of the equation partial ^2 u/partial x^2 - partial u/partial y = u of the form u(x,y)=(A cos alpha x + B sin alphax)f(y) where A, B and alpha are constants. Find a solution of the equation for which u=0 when x=0; u=0 when x = pi, u=x when y=1.

Homework Equations

The solution is u = -2 summuation from n=1 to infinity (((-1)^n)/n)e^((1+n)(1-y)) sin nx.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the next step is to use u(x,Y) = X(x)Y(y) so the equation then becomes (1/x) partial ^2 X/partial x^2 - (1/y)partial Y/partial y = u. Then I get lost, can I get some help on how I would solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
walter9459 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the next step is to use u(x,Y) = X(x)Y(y) so the equation then becomes (1/x) partial ^2 X/partial x^2 - (1/y)partial Y/partial y = u.

No, you forgot to divide the right hand side by u. You should have gotten the following:

[tex]\frac{X''}{X}-\frac{Y'}{Y}=1[/tex]

Since the first term on the left side depends only on x and the second depends only on y, and since they differ by a constant (namely 1), try setting [itex]X''/X=-\alpha^2[/itex] and [itex]Y'/Y=-\alpha^2-1[/itex]. That way you get the desired form of the solution and when you subtract them you get 1.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function. PDEs are used to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Fourier method?

The Fourier method is a mathematical technique used to solve PDEs. It involves representing the unknown function as a sum of sinusoidal functions, which can simplify the PDE and make it easier to solve.

3. How do you obtain all solutions using the Fourier method?

To obtain all solutions using the Fourier method, you first need to express the PDE in terms of Fourier series. Then, you can solve for the coefficients of the Fourier series and use them to construct the general solution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Fourier method to solve PDEs?

The Fourier method can often simplify complicated PDEs and reduce them to a series of algebraic equations. It also allows for the construction of general solutions, which can be useful in analyzing the behavior of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier method?

Yes, the Fourier method may not work for all types of PDEs. It is most effective for linear PDEs with constant coefficients. Nonlinear PDEs or PDEs with variable coefficients may require different methods for solving.