Solve Heat Equation PDE with Boundary Conditions

In summary: Integration is not commutative, so you need to rearrange your terms. In summary, Daniel tried solving the homework equation for sin(n*x) using a Fourier series, but got zero results. He consulted a literature source and found that the Coefficient for sin(n*x) is 1/2*(sin3x+sin5x). He plotted the function and found that it matches the attached diagram. He solved the equation analytically and got the same results.
saxen

Homework Statement

u[itex]_{t}[/itex]=3u[itex]_{xx}[/itex] x=[0,pi]
u(0,t)=u(pi,t)=0
u(x,0)=sinx*cos4x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

with separation of variables and boundry conditions I get:

u(x,t)= [itex]\sum[/itex]B[itex]_{n}[/itex]e[itex]^-3n^{2)}}*sinnx[/itex]

u(x,0)=sinx*cos4x

f(x)=sinx*cos4x=[itex]\sum[/itex]B[itex]_{n}*sinnx[/itex]

And here is where I am stuck! I tried computing B[itex]_{n} by computing it like a Fourier coeff. of f(x) but all I got was zero... I don't really know where to go from here.

I'm having a hard time with Fourier analysis, that's why I have bombarded this forums with question these last couple of days. I really appreciate the help I get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
It might help to consult the literature on this; Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation#equation_6".

And as for your case, in particular, can you please show us how did you integrate the Coefficient? It should be something along the lines of:
[tex]
B_n \propto \int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\sin(nx\pi)
[/tex]
as per your statement, certainly not zero!

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
danielakkerma said:
Hey,
It might help to consult the literature on this; Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation#equation_6".

And as for your case, in particular, can you please show us how did you integrate the Coefficient? It should be something along the lines of:
[tex]
B_n \propto \int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\sin(nx\pi)
[/tex]
as per your statement, certainly not zero!

Daniel

Bn= 2/L *integral sinx*cos4x*sinnpix/L

L should be pi since my intervall is 0 to pi, or have I misunderstood something? Then integral becomes:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sinx*cos4x*sin(n*x)

sin(n+5)pi should be zero for all n?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dude, this problem is driving me insane.

Okay,
Firstly I solved your problem numerically, and received the following graph, tested it using two schemes, and it's mighty accurate!(Pat on the back here :)).
Since we're getting zero here, one naturally inclines to use a Taylor expansion of the series, around Pi.
In the case of Sin(n*x), we'll get, up to the second order:
That the expansion of the integral, at large, gives:
[itex]B_n = \frac{(15 + n^2) \sin(n \pi)}{((-5 + n) (-3 + n) (3 + n) (5 + n))} [/itex]
This resolves, for most N, as:
[itex]B_n = \frac{-n(x-\pi)^3}{3} [/itex]
I would advise you to plot the resulting function using this expansion, and see whether it matches the attached diagram.
Lets hope it works!
Daniel

Attachments

• G_1.bmp
    252.7 KB · Views: 526
Thanks! Pat on back is well deserved =). Will try this. Do you think there is a way to solve this analytical?

Last edited:
The Fourier solution method is very discreet and is only effective for particular cases. I would advise you to use, in such PDEs and those beyond these(i.e Hyperbolic ones etc.) Numerical methods..
Daniel

I tried this problem again this morning and solved after 5 minutes. I am sooooo stupid.

sinx*cos4x = 1/2*(sin3x+sin5x)

So: ∑Bn∗sinnx = 1/2(sin3x+sin5x)

---> Bn1sinn1x+Bn2+sinn2=1/2(sin3x+sin5x)

Bn1=Bn2=1/2

n1=3
n2=5

And its solved. That is all.

Well done!
I had a feeling this had to sit with reducing your compound expression with the cosines and sines...
Congratulations, and kudos!
Daniel

saxen said:

Homework Statement

u[itex]_{t}[/itex]=3u[itex]_{xx}[/itex] x=[0,pi]
u(0,t)=u(pi,t)=0
u(x,0)=sinx*cos4x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

with separation of variables and boundry conditions I get:

u(x,t)= [itex]\sum[/itex]B[itex]_{n}[/itex]e[itex]^-3n^{2)}}*sinnx[/itex]

u(x,0)=sinx*cos4x

f(x)=sinx*cos4x=[itex]\sum[/itex]B[itex]_{n}*sinnx[/itex]

And here is where I am stuck! I tried computing B[itex]_{n} by computing it like a Fourier coeff. of f(x) but all I got was zero... I don't really know where to go from here.

I'm having a hard time with Fourier analysis, that's why I have bombarded this forums with question these last couple of days. I really appreciate the help I get.

Why does your summation formula for u(x,t) not have t in it anywhere?

RGV

1. What is the heat equation PDE and how does it work?

The heat equation PDE is a mathematical equation that describes how heat is distributed in a given system over time. It takes into account the temperature, heat flux, and thermal conductivity of the system to calculate the rate of change of temperature at any point in the system. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and solve heat transfer problems.

2. What are the boundary conditions in the heat equation PDE and why are they important?

Boundary conditions are specific values or relationships that are applied to the edges or boundaries of a system in the heat equation PDE. They are important because they define the behavior of the system at its boundaries and help determine the exact solution to the PDE. Without boundary conditions, the solution would be undefined and unusable for practical purposes.

3. How do you solve the heat equation PDE with boundary conditions?

To solve the heat equation PDE with boundary conditions, you need to use a combination of mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. First, you need to apply the boundary conditions to the PDE to reduce it to a simpler form. Then, you can use the appropriate mathematical technique to solve for the temperature distribution in the system.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving the heat equation PDE with boundary conditions?

The heat equation PDE with boundary conditions has many practical applications in various fields. It is commonly used in engineering to design and optimize heat exchangers, HVAC systems, and other thermal systems. It is also used in physics to study heat transfer in materials, geology to model heat flow in the Earth's crust, and meteorology to predict weather patterns.

5. What are some challenges in solving the heat equation PDE with boundary conditions?

One of the main challenges in solving the heat equation PDE with boundary conditions is the complexity of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques to solve them. Additionally, obtaining accurate boundary conditions can be difficult in real-world scenarios, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. Furthermore, the heat equation assumes certain simplifications and idealizations, which may not fully reflect the real-world conditions of a system.