PDE - Need help getting started.

• Thread starter walter9459
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the differential equation governing the longitudinal vibration of a thin cone which has uniform density p is given by F(x) = EA(x)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}dx.
walter9459

Homework Statement

Derive the differential equation governing the longitudinal vibration of a thin cone which has uniform density p, show that it is
1/x/SUP] d/dx(x du/dx) = (1/c) d u/dt

Hint: The tensile force sigma = E du/dx where E is the Young's modulus (a constant), u is the longitudinal displacement and x is the longitudinal coordinate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to start so if someone give help me understand how to start this problem I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write [itex] F = ma [/tex] for a longitudinal element of the rod of length [itex]dx[/itex]. The force on the left is the tensile stress times the area, i.e.,
[tex]
E A(x) du/dx
[/tex]
pointing to the left.
Can you do the rest?

Okay now I have the following:
F = ma
F = EA(x)U(x)
= d/dx[EA(x)d/dx)] = m(x) d^2u/dt^2
u(x,t) = U(x)T(t)
d/dx[EA(x) d/dx[U(x)T(t)]] = d^2/dt^2 [m(x)T(t)]
t(t) d/dx [EA(x) d/dx [U(x)T(t)] = 1/T(t) d^2/dt^2 T(t) = -w^2
d/dx[EA(x) d/dx U(x)] + w^2m(x)U(x) = 0

I need to get to

1/x^2 d/dx[x^2 U(x)] = 1/c^2 U(tt)

but not sure if I'm on the right path and how I get from my result to the required result.

Regards,

Margaret

OK, don't introduce the separation of variables form [itex]u(x, t) = T(t) U(x)[/itex]. At this stage we are merely trying to derive the PDE, not solve it.

The force on the left face of the differential element is
[tex]
F(x) = EA(x)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}
[/tex]
pointing to the left.

The force on the right face will be (using a Taylor series)
[tex]
F(x + dx) = F(x) + \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx[/tex]
pointing to the right.

Hence the net force is: (you write it down).

Next, the mass of the element is [itex]m = \rho A(x) dx[/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density.
The acceleration of the element is [itex]\partial^2 u/\partial t^2[/itex].

So [itex]F = ma[/itex] becomes (you write it down).

Next introduce [itex]c^2 = E/\rho[/itex] into the above equation. This gives (you write it down).

Next write [itex]A(x) = \pi R^2(x)[/itex], where for a cone [itex]R(x) = \alpha x[/itex], [itex]\alpha[/itex] being the slope of the cone and [itex]x[/itex] is measured from the tip of the cone. Introduce this into the equation. This gives the answer. Done?

Thank you for your patience and help in explaining this in a manner that I was able to understand.

hey how do u get the net force in the above question?
I know t is the FR-FL. But what would it be?

1. What is PDE?

PDE stands for Partial Differential Equation. It is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve complex systems.

2. Why is PDE important?

PDE is important because it allows us to describe and analyze physical systems that involve multiple variables and their rates of change. It also has many real-world applications, such as in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do I get started with PDE?

To get started with PDE, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus, particularly with multiple variables and partial derivatives. It is also helpful to have a background in physics or engineering, as PDE is commonly used in these fields.

4. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The specific technique used will depend on the type of PDE and the boundary conditions.

5. Are there any resources available for learning and practicing PDE?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning and practicing PDE. Some options include online tutorials, textbooks, and courses. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and consult with other mathematicians or scientists for guidance and support.