Probability Functions and Distributions for Independent Series of Experiments

In summary: Part 2: Yes, that looks right.Part 3: No, that is not correct. "Substituting z" means replacing every appearance of z by g(y), not "plugging in" z = g(y). Essentially you need to "solve" the equation z^2 = y for z, or equivalently y = z^2 for z. There are two solutions, z = +\sqrt{y} and z = -\sqrt{y}. You need to use both of them (one at a time) in the formula you gave for the pdf of a normal distribution.So the pdf of Y is |1/(2\sqrt{y})| times the sum of two terms, one
cwrn

Homework Statement

Two independent series of experiments are performed. The probability of a positive result (independent of each other) in the respective series are given by p and q. Let X and Y be be the amount of experiments before the first negative result occur in the respective series.

1) Determine the probability functions for X and Y.

2) Let Z = min(X,Y), determine the distribution of Z by calculating the probability function. Give an interpretation of the answer. Why does Z have the distribution that was found?

3) Let Z ~ N(0,1) and let Y = Z2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

4) Let X ~ N(μ, σ2) and let Y = X2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

Homework Equations

Normal distribution:
$$
\begin{align}
f_X(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
\end{align}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a problem from a previous exam in this course, I don't have an answer sheet, but on some parts I just need to know if I've done correctly or not.

1) Let X and Y be the random variables (discrete in this case). Since the experiments in a series are independent of each other the probability function should look like this:
$$
\begin{align}
p_X(x) = p^x = Pr(X\ taking\ on\ value\ x) \\
p_Y(y) = q^y = Pr(Y\ taking\ on\ value\ y)
\end{align}
$$
(for x and y > 0)

The book I'm using is quite vague with the notation of probability functions, is the correct way to write it?

2) Does Z = min(X,Y) refer to an event where both experiments yields a negative result from the first attempt?
If that's the case the probability must be (1-p)(1-q)?

3) Z ~ N(0,1) means [itex]\mu = 0, \ \sigma = 1[/itex], which yields the probability density function
$$
\begin{align}
f_Z(z) = \varphi(z) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}}
\end{align}
$$
Since Y = Z2, it must mean that y = z2. So the solution is given simply by substituting z?

4) I assume this is almost like 3), but with different values?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cwrn said:

Homework Statement

Two independent series of experiments are performed. The probability of a positive result (independent of each other) in the respective series are given by p and q. Let X and Y be be the amount of experiments before the first negative result occur in the respective series.

1) Determine the probability functions for X and Y.

2) Let Z = min(X,Y), determine the distribution of Z by calculating the probability function. Give an interpretation of the answer. Why does Z have the distribution that was found?

3) Let Z ~ N(0,1) and let Y = Z2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

4) Let X ~ N(μ, σ2) and let Y = X2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

Homework Equations

Normal distribution:
$$
\begin{align}
f_X(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
\end{align}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a problem from a previous exam in this course, I don't have an answer sheet, but on some parts I just need to know if I've done correctly or not.

1) Let X and Y be the random variables (discrete in this case). Since the experiments in a series are independent of each other the probability function should look like this:
$$
\begin{align}
p_X(x) = p^x = Pr(X\ taking\ on\ value\ x) \\
p_Y(y) = q^y = Pr(Y\ taking\ on\ value\ y)
\end{align}
$$
(for x and y > 0)

The book I'm using is quite vague with the notation of probability functions, is the correct way to write it?

2) Does Z = min(X,Y) refer to an event where both experiments yields a negative result from the first attempt?
If that's the case the probability must be (1-p)(1-q)?

3) Z ~ N(0,1) means [itex]\mu = 0, \ \sigma = 1[/itex], which yields the probability density function
$$
\begin{align}
f_Z(z) = \varphi(z) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}}
\end{align}
$$
Since Y = Z2, it must mean that y = z2. So the solution is given simply by substituting z?

4) I assume this is almost like 3), but with different values?

The X, Y and Z in parts 1--2 have no relation at all to the X,Y and Z in parts 3--4.

In part 2, Z is the smaller of the two random variables X and Y; there is no assumption about the values of X and Y. For example, you might observe X = 47 and Y = 63, and in that case you observe Z = 47. Basically, you are asked to determine the distribution of the smaller of two independent random variables.

In part 3, you cannot just put y = z^2; you must use the standard "change of variable" formulas for probability densities. If you have not seen these before, start by finding the cdf ##F_Y(y)## of Y on its domain ##y \geq 0##: [tex] F_Y(y) = P\{ Y \leq y \} = P\{ Z^2 \leq y \} = P\{|Z| \leq \sqrt{y} \} = P\{ -\sqrt{y} \leq Z \leq \sqrt{y} \}[/tex]
Now get the density as ##f_Y(y) = dF_Y(y)/dy##. Do something similar for part 4.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
In part 2, Z is the smaller of the two random variables X and Y; there is no assumption about the values of X and Y. For example, you might observe X = 47 and Y = 63, and in that case you observe Z = 47. Basically, you are asked to determine the distribution of the smaller of two independent random variables.
Alright, according to the definition, the distribution should be
$$
\begin{align}
F_Z(u) = 1-(1-F_X(u))(1-F_Y(u)) = 1-P(X>u)P(Y>u)
\end{align}
$$
where [itex]F_Y(u)=\sum_{k:k\leq u}q^k[/itex] and [itex]F_X(u)=\sum_{k:k\leq u}p^k[/itex].

Last edited:
I gave part 3 another try using the so called "change of variable" technique. Although, instead of finding and taking the derivative of the CDF I used the definition of normal distribution (pdf) and just substituted z. I set [itex]z=g(y)=\sqrt{y} \Rightarrow \frac{dg}{dy}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/itex]. Substituting z gives
$$
\begin{align}
f_Y(y) = f_Z(g(y)) \left|{\frac{dg}{dy}}\right| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{y}{2}}\left|{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}}\right|.
\end{align}
$$
Is this correct?

Last edited:
cwrn said:
I gave part 3 another try using the so called "change of variable" technique. Although, instead of finding and taking the derivative of the CDF I used the definition of normal distribution (pdf) and just substituted z. I set [itex]z=g(y)=\sqrt{y} \Rightarrow \frac{dg}{dy}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/itex]. Substituting z gives
$$
\begin{align}
f_Y(y) = f_Z(g(y)) \left|{\frac{dg}{dy}}\right| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{y}{2}}\left|{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}}\right|.
\end{align}
$$
Is this correct?

Not quite. The method you use can give trouble when you are dealing with a non-monotone function of a random variable, and in this case ##X^2## is non-monotone. That is precisely why I suggested the alternative method, which is always 100% correct, as it forces you to be careful.
[tex] P(Y \leq y) = \int_{-\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
= 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx[/tex]
Thus
[tex] f_Y(y) = \frac{d}{dy} 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-y/2} \frac{d \sqrt{y}}{dy} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{e^{-y/2}}{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
This integrates to 1, so yours will integrate to 1/2.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Not quite. The method you use can give trouble when you are dealing with a non-monotone function of a random variable, and in this case ##X^2## is non-monotone. That is precisely why I suggested the alternative method, which is always 100% correct, as it forces you to be careful.
[tex] P(Y \leq y) = \int_{-\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
= 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx[/tex]
Thus
[tex] f_Y(y) = \frac{d}{dy} 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-y/2} \frac{d \sqrt{y}}{dy} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{e^{-y/2}}{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
This integrates to 1, so yours will integrate to 1/2.
Of course. It makes a lot more sense to look at the substitution in an integration. Thanks for the help. Will try part 4) and post the result later.

Edit: What do you mean by "yours will integrate to 1/2"? Do I need to change the limits according to z(y)?

Last edited:
cwrn said:
Of course. It makes a lot more sense to look at the substitution in an integration. Thanks for the help. Will try part 4) and post the result later.

Edit: What do you mean by "yours will integrate to 1/2"? Do I need to change the limits according to z(y)?

I mean that your "f(y)" has the wrong normalization. Your answer is (1/2)f(y), not f(y) itself. Compare yours and mine very carefully!

Ray Vickson said:
I mean that your "f(y)" has the wrong normalization. Your answer is (1/2)f(y), not f(y) itself. Compare yours and mine very carefully!
I see, I must've misinterpreted, my bad! Thanks again.

Using the same method in 4) as in 3) gives me
$$
\begin{align}
f_Y(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi y\sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{(y-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
\end{align}
$$

Last edited:
cwrn said:
Using the same method in 4) as in 3) gives me
$$
\begin{align}
f_Y(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi y\sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{(y-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
\end{align}
$$

This is just about as wrong at it could possibly be. Go back to square one, and proceed carefully.

Related to Probability Functions and Distributions for Independent Series of Experiments

What is a PDF?

A PDF (probability density function) is a mathematical function used to describe the likelihood of a continuous random variable falling within a particular range of values. It is often used to model data that follows a normal distribution.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world data. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around the mean. Many natural phenomena, such as height and weight, follow a normal distribution.

How is a normal distribution related to a PDF?

A normal distribution is described by a PDF, which represents the probability of observing a particular value within a range of values. The shape of the PDF curve is determined by the mean and standard deviation of the data.

What are the properties of a normal distribution?

The normal distribution has several important properties, including symmetry around the mean, a single peak at the mean, and a standard deviation that determines the spread of the data. It also follows the 68-95-99.7 rule, which states that approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations.

How is a normal distribution used in statistics?

The normal distribution is widely used in statistics for data analysis and hypothesis testing. It is also used to calculate confidence intervals and to make predictions about future data. Many statistical tests, such as the t-test and ANOVA, assume that the data follows a normal distribution.