1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDF and normal distribution

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two independent series of experiments are performed. The probability of a positive result (independent of eachother) in the respective series are given by p and q. Let X and Y be be the amount of experiments before the first negative result occur in the respective series.

1) Determine the probability functions for X and Y.

2) Let Z = min(X,Y), determine the distribution of Z by calculating the probability function. Give an interpretation of the answer. Why does Z have the distribution that was found?

3) Let Z ~ N(0,1) and let Y = Z2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

4) Let X ~ N(μ, σ2) and let Y = X2. Calculate the probability density function for Y.

2. Relevant equations
    Normal distribution:
    $$
    \begin{align}
    f_X(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
    \end{align}
    $$
    3. The attempt at a solution

Since this is a problem from a previous exam in this course, I don't have an answer sheet, but on some parts I just need to know if I've done correctly or not.

1) Let X and Y be the random variables (discrete in this case). Since the experiments in a series are independent of eachother the probability function should look like this:
    $$
    \begin{align}
    p_X(x) = p^x = Pr(X\ taking\ on\ value\ x) \\
    p_Y(y) = q^y = Pr(Y\ taking\ on\ value\ y)
    \end{align}
    $$
    (for x and y > 0)

The book I'm using is quite vague with the notation of probability functions, is the correct way to write it?

2) Does Z = min(X,Y) refer to an event where both experiments yields a negative result from the first attempt?
    If that's the case the probability must be (1-p)(1-q)?

3) Z ~ N(0,1) means [itex]\mu = 0, \ \sigma = 1[/itex], which yields the probability density function
    $$
    \begin{align}
    f_Z(z) = \varphi(z) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}}
    \end{align}
    $$
    Since Y = Z2, it must mean that y = z2. So the solution is given simply by substituting z?

4) I assume this is almost like 3), but with different values?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The X, Y and Z in parts 1--2 have no relation at all to the X,Y and Z in parts 3--4.

In part 2, Z is the smaller of the two random variables X and Y; there is no assumption about the values of X and Y. For example, you might observe X = 47 and Y = 63, and in that case you observe Z = 47. Basically, you are asked to determine the distribution of the smaller of two independent random variables.

In part 3, you cannot just put y = z^2; you must use the standard "change of variable" formulas for probability densities. If you have not seen these before, start by finding the cdf ##F_Y(y)## of Y on its domain ##y \geq 0##: [tex] F_Y(y) = P\{ Y \leq y \} = P\{ Z^2 \leq y \} = P\{|Z| \leq \sqrt{y} \} = P\{ -\sqrt{y} \leq Z \leq \sqrt{y} \}[/tex]
    Now get the density as ##f_Y(y) = dF_Y(y)/dy##. Do something similar for part 4.

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    Alright, according to the definition, the distribution should be
    $$
    \begin{align}
    F_Z(u) = 1-(1-F_X(u))(1-F_Y(u)) = 1-P(X>u)P(Y>u)
    \end{align}
    $$
    where [itex]F_Y(u)=\sum_{k:k\leq u}q^k[/itex] and [itex]F_X(u)=\sum_{k:k\leq u}p^k[/itex].

5. May 1, 2014 #4
    I gave part 3 another try using the so called "change of variable" technique. Although, instead of finding and taking the derivative of the CDF I used the definition of normal distribution (pdf) and just substituted z. I set [itex]z=g(y)=\sqrt{y} \Rightarrow \frac{dg}{dy}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/itex]. Substituting z gives
    $$
    \begin{align}
    f_Y(y) = f_Z(g(y)) \left|{\frac{dg}{dy}}\right| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{y}{2}}\left|{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}}\right|.
    \end{align}
    $$
    Is this correct?

6. May 1, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. The method you use can give trouble when you are dealing with a non-monotone function of a random variable, and in this case ##X^2## is non-monotone. That is precisely why I suggested the alternative method, which is always 100% correct, as it forces you to be careful.
    [tex] P(Y \leq y) = \int_{-\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
    = 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx[/tex]
    Thus
    [tex] f_Y(y) = \frac{d}{dy} 2\int_0^{\sqrt{y}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2/2}\, dx
    = \frac{2}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-y/2} \frac{d \sqrt{y}}{dy} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{e^{-y/2}}{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
    This integrates to 1, so yours will integrate to 1/2.

7. May 2, 2014 #6
    Of course. It makes a lot more sense to look at the substitution in an integration. Thanks for the help. Will try part 4) and post the result later.

Edit: What do you mean by "yours will integrate to 1/2"? Do I need to change the limits according to z(y)?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  8. May 2, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that your "f(y)" has the wrong normalization. Your answer is (1/2)f(y), not f(y) itself. Compare yours and mine very carefully!

9. May 2, 2014 #8
    I see, I must've misinterpreted, my bad! Thanks again.

10. May 2, 2014 #9
    Using the same method in 4) as in 3) gives me
    $$
    \begin{align}
    f_Y(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi y\sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{(y-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}
    \end{align}
    $$

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  11. May 2, 2014 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is just about as wrong at it could possibly be. Go back to square one, and proceed carefully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted