1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum - energy

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    80kg mass man is swinging on a swing. His amplitude is 1m. in 60 seconds he does 15 swings. Find the potential and kinetic energy after 1/12 period.

2. Relevant equationsW(p)=mgh or kx^2/2 W(k)=mv^2/2 W(max)=Fr^2mg/2l

3. The attempt at a solution i Found out that maximum energy is 100J. But when i am calculating energy of petencial or kinetic i get 1/3 or 2/3 of maximum...or something even more horrid. =]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    oh c'mon!!! there must be someone out there knowing how to do this...

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Patrickas! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    erm :redface: … you can't post around 2am New York time and expect an answer 4 hours later!! :rolleyes:

anwyay, show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

yea, but there are alot more people out there not from new york, who might know.

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    hmm. Anyone..?

7. May 1, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

8. May 1, 2010 #7
    T=60/15=4s
    t=4/12=1/3s

So i know that W=kx^2/2 Well then i tried getting k, k=mg/l , now i needed the lengh of swings so i figured mv^2/r=mgr/l l=r^2g/v^2, now i need speed =D. v=s/t is s= 4*r? , or s=2*3.14*r? and t=1/3. Anyways i sence that something here is wrong. The numbers don't add up properly.

Assuming that s=2*3.14*r i can get T=2*3.14*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] and get that l(t=4s)=4m Then i get that maximum energy is 100J. Now what...

Ahh... i used to calculate s=4r and not 2*3.14*r. I think it works out.

W=[tex]\frac{mgt2*3.14r}{l2T}[/tex]

When i put t=1/3 i get that potencial or kinetic(don't know which..) is 25J !!! Which means that other is 75J Now which is which...?

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  9. May 1, 2010 #8
    Hey thanks for the help! I have been trying to solve this one for days! hehe

10. May 1, 2010 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Patrickas! :smile:

You're making this very complicated. :redface:

You know T = 4, A = 1, and so distance x = 1*cos(2πt/4).

So you can find v … then KE = 1/2 mv2, and PE = … ? :smile:

11. May 1, 2010 #10

O yea! Thanks! It should be much faster and easier to solve those problems now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook