Calculating Potential & Kinetic Energies of a 80kg Man Swinging on a Swing

In summary: Since i know that T=4s , v=2*3.14/T and KE=1/2mv^2 and PE=mgx. Thanks again!In summary, the potential energy and kinetic energy of an 80kg man swinging on a swing with an amplitude of 1m and completing 15 swings in 60 seconds can be calculated after 1/12 period. Using the equations W(p)=mgh or kx^2/2 and W(k)=mv^2/2, the maximum energy was found to be 100J. By determining the length of the swings and calculating the total energy, it was found that the potential energy after 1/12 period is 25J and the kinetic
Patrickas

Homework Statement

80kg mass man is swinging on a swing. His amplitude is 1m. in 60 seconds he does 15 swings. Find the potential and kinetic energy after 1/12 period.

Homework Equations

W(p)=mgh or kx^2/2 W(k)=mv^2/2 W(max)=Fr^2mg/2l

The Attempt at a Solution

i Found out that maximum energy is 100J. But when i am calculating energy of petencial or kinetic i get 1/3 or 2/3 of maximum...or something even more horrid. =]

Physics news on Phys.org
oh c'mon! there must be someone out there knowing how to do this...

Hi Patrickas! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Patrickas said:

Homework Statement

80kg mass man is swinging on a swing. His amplitude is 1m. in 60 seconds he does 15 swings. Find the potential and kinetic energy after 1/12 period.

Homework Equations

W(p)=mgh or kx^2/2 W(k)=mv^2/2 W(max)=Fr^2mg/2l

The Attempt at a Solution

i Found out that maximum energy is 100J. But when i am calculating energy of petencial or kinetic i get 1/3 or 2/3 of maximum...or something even more horrid. =]

Patrickas said:
oh c'mon! there must be someone out there knowing how to do this...

erm :redface: … you can't post around 2am New York time and expect an answer 4 hours later! :rolleyes:

anwyay, show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

erm :redface: … you can't post around 2am New York time and expect an answer 4 hours later! :rolleyes:

anwyay, show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

yea, but there are a lot more people out there not from new york, who might know.

hmm. Anyone..?

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

T=60/15=4s
t=4/12=1/3s

So i know that W=kx^2/2 Well then i tried getting k, k=mg/l , now i needed the lengh of swings so i figured mv^2/r=mgr/l l=r^2g/v^2, now i need speed =D. v=s/t is s= 4*r? , or s=2*3.14*r? and t=1/3. Anyways i sense that something here is wrong. The numbers don't add up properly.

Assuming that s=2*3.14*r i can get T=2*3.14*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] and get that l(t=4s)=4m Then i get that maximum energy is 100J. Now what...

Ahh... i used to calculate s=4r and not 2*3.14*r. I think it works out.

W=[tex]\frac{mgt2*3.14r}{l2T}[/tex]

When i put t=1/3 i get that potencial or kinetic(don't know which..) is 25J ! Which means that other is 75J Now which is which...?

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

Hey thanks for the help! I have been trying to solve this one for days! hehe

You're making this very complicated. :redface:

You know T = 4, A = 1, and so distance x = 1*cos(2πt/4).

So you can find v … then KE = 1/2 mv2, and PE = … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:

You're making this very complicated. :redface:

You know T = 4, A = 1, and so distance x = 1*cos(2πt/4).

So you can find v … then KE = 1/2 mv2, and PE = … ? :smile:

O yea! Thanks! It should be much faster and easier to solve those problems now.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state. In the case of a man on a swing, potential energy is the energy he possesses while sitting at the highest point of the swing.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In this scenario, the man on the swing has kinetic energy while moving back and forth on the swing.

How do you calculate potential energy?

Potential energy can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and the height of the object from the ground. In this case, the potential energy of the man on the swing would be 80kg x 9.8 m/s² x height.

How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2. In the case of the man on the swing, the kinetic energy would be 80kg x (velocity)² / 2.

What factors affect the potential and kinetic energies of the man on the swing?

The potential and kinetic energies of the man on the swing are affected by his mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height and velocity at which he is swinging. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect his energies.