Does Mass Affect the Period of a Pendulum's Motion?

• Thread starter 4.19mile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation involved discussing a lab involving a pendulum and how the period of oscillation and amplitude of the pendulum's motion change over time. The group also discussed relevant equations and how they affect the period and amplitude. The group also questioned the relationship between mass and period in a pendulum.
4.19mile

Homework Statement

So basically, we had a mass attached to a string (like a pendulum), and we pulled it back .1 m and then let go and watched it go back and forth. We have a huge lab to do for stuff like this, and there were three questions that I want to be sure I get right since they lead to other questions:

1. How did the period of oscillation of the pendulum change as it swung back and forth over a long period of time?

2. How did the amplitude of the pendulum's motion change as it swung back and forth over a long period of time?

3. How does the amplitude of a period's motion affect its period of oscillation?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

So for #1, I'm not sure.. I thought initially it would increase over time, but I guess it would get "smaller and smaller" (the amount of oscillation), so would it decrease?

For #2, the amplitude would decrease, because of things like air resistance the distance the pendulum was going back and forth would get smaller and smaller till it finally came to a stop?

#3, the lower the amplitude, the lower the period?

This is what I think it is, but I really want to be sure as this leads to other questions. I'd appreciate it if someone could help. Thanks :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude will definitely decrease as time goes on, but think about the period for a little while.

Do you know of any formulas involving the period? Does the period of a pendulum depend on the amplitude of oscillation in those formulas? If not, what does this tell you about the period as the amplitude changes?

Isn't the point of a lab to SEE what happens? You shouldn't be thinking about what "would" or "should" happen. What DID happen in the lab?

HallsofIvy said:
Isn't the point of a lab to SEE what happens? You shouldn't be thinking about what "would" or "should" happen. What DID happen in the lab?

Knowing what should happen often helps to recognize what to look for and understand what is happening in the lab. It is not always easy to see a phenomenon and immediately conceive what it means. Let alone write it in scientific terms.

G01 said:
The amplitude will definitely decrease as time goes on, but think about the period for a little while.

Do you know of any formulas involving the period? Does the period of a pendulum depend on the amplitude of oscillation in those formulas? If not, what does this tell you about the period as the amplitude changes?

Thanks for all the help. Yes, the formula for the period doesn't have anything to do with the amplitude right (Since T = 2(pi) square root of L/g)? I am still a bit confused though.. I understand why the amplitude would decrease, but wouldn't a lower amplitude mean it takes less time to go back and forth, lowering the period?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could confirm another thing:

Looking at pendulum mass vs. period, what does the trend seem like?
I think when the mass increases, the period increases as well.

4.19mile said:
Thanks for all the help. Yes, the formula for the period doesn't have anything to do with the amplitude right (Since T = 2(pi) square root of L/g)? I am still a bit confused though.. I understand why the amplitude would decrease, but wouldn't a lower amplitude mean it takes less time to go back and forth, lowering the period?

Yes, the amplitude may be less, meaning the distance covered is less, but the pendulum also moves more slowly. Thus, the oscillations of lesser amplitude take the same amount of time.

4.19mile said:
I'd also appreciate it if anyone could confirm another thing:

Looking at pendulum mass vs. period, what does the trend seem like?
I think when the mass increases, the period increases as well.

Again, look at the relevant formulas. Does the mass of the pendulum bob appear in the formulas for the period? If, so, how does it affect the period?

Last edited:

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is able to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the force of gravity.

What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing from left to right and back again.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel and therefore takes more time to complete one swing.

Why is the motion of a pendulum considered simple harmonic motion?

The motion of a pendulum is considered simple harmonic motion because it follows a sinusoidal pattern, with equal amounts of time spent on each side of the pivot point and a constant period regardless of the amplitude of the swing.