Playing Catch: Solving the Spacelike Communication Challenge

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary: I don't see anything interesting about it either.In summary, the question is asking how two people who are 10 ft apart can communicate when their separation is spacelike. The answer is that they can communicate by communicating at a later time.
ehrenfest
I am supposed to draw a space-time diagram representing "a game of catch (or a conversation) between two people at rest, 10 ft apart. How is it possible for them to communicate, given that their interval is spacelike?"

Firstly, how is this realistic when let's say that the ball takes 2 seconds to go between them. Then how in the world would -c*3+10*0.3084 be nonnegative>

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the original question end?

Henceforth, please use the template. It eliminates such confusion.

If the events are something like throwing & catching (no matter how far apart), the interval between the events is clearly timelike.

Gokul43201 said:
Where does the original question end?

Henceforth, please use the template. It eliminates such confusion.

I was using PF Nexus which does not provide the template, but I will switch to PF Prime.

The original question is verbatim:

"Draw a spacetime diagram representing a game of catch (or a conversation) between two people at rest, 10 ft apart. How is it possible for them to communicate, given that their separation is spacelike?"

Notice that I erroneously used "interval" instead of "seperation" in the thread-opening post.

Let's say A , the "thrower," is at (0,0) when he throws the ball. B, the receiver, is at (0,10) in A's frame.(Using (t,x) for events.) Only these events are spacelike and thus unrelated to the interval between throwing and catching.

OK. I kind of see the point of the question now. When A throws, B at that moment is outside the future of A. However, the resolution is that B at a later time is inside the future of A. This is a really weird question.

ehrenfest said:
OK. I kind of see the point of the question now.
I don't. It appears idiotic to me. I hope there's something non-trivial about it that I'm not seeing.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't. It appears idiotic to me. I hope there's something non-trivial about it that I'm not seeing.

LOL. You're probably right.

1. What is the "Spacelike Communication Challenge"?

The Spacelike Communication Challenge refers to the difficulty of communicating over long distances in space, where traditional methods of communication, such as radio signals, are limited by the speed of light. This poses a challenge for space exploration and research, as well as potential future human settlements on other planets.

2. How does "Playing Catch" aim to solve this challenge?

"Playing Catch" is a concept proposed by scientists to overcome the Spacelike Communication Challenge. It involves using multiple satellites or spacecrafts positioned strategically in space to relay information between each other, effectively "throwing" the information back and forth until it reaches its intended destination.

3. What are the potential benefits of solving the Spacelike Communication Challenge?

If the Spacelike Communication Challenge is successfully solved, it could greatly enhance our ability to communicate and gather information in space. This could lead to advancements in space exploration, as well as improved communication and data transfer for future space missions.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to "Playing Catch"?

One potential limitation of "Playing Catch" is the increased complexity and cost of implementing such a system. It would also require precise positioning and coordination of the satellites or spacecrafts, which could be challenging. Additionally, there may be a delay in communication due to the time it takes for the information to be relayed between the different points in space.

5. Is "Playing Catch" a feasible solution to the Spacelike Communication Challenge?

While "Playing Catch" has been proposed as a potential solution, it is still a concept that is being studied and developed. It may require further advancements in technology and testing before it can be considered a fully feasible solution. However, it shows promise in overcoming the Spacelike Communication Challenge and is being actively researched by scientists.