Perceived/actual distance (block of glass with logo in water)

In summary, the logo appears closer to the observer than its actual distance due to the difference in refractive indexes between air and the glass and water. The total perceived distance is the sum of the perceived distances in the glass and water, and cannot be calculated by simply adding the actual distances.

Homework Statement

A logo is embedded in a block of glass (n=1.52), 3.2cm beneath the top surface of the glass. The block is put under water so that there is 1.5cm of water above the top surface of the glass. The logo is viewed from directly above by an observer in air. How far beneath the top surface of the water does the logo appear to the observer?

Homework Equations

d' = d(n2)/n1
Where n2 is the refraction index of the medium in which the observer is and n1 is the RI of the medium in which the object is observed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the observer is observing the logo in materials with greater refractory indexes than air, the logo will appear closer than its actual distance.

The actual distance from the logo to air is 3.2 + 1.5 = 4.7cm

There are two perceived distances, one is the perceived distance of the logo in the block and the other is the perceived distance of the logo in water. Added together, this would be the total perceived distance.

Perceived distance of logo in block, as observed from air, is d(n2/n1) where n2 is air (≈1) and n1 is the block (given n = 1.52), so d' = 3.2 (1/1.52) = 2.1

Perceived distance of logo in water, as observed from air, is d(n2/n1), where n1 is water and the amount of water given is 1.5, so d' = 1.5 (1/1.33) = 1.12

Total distance = 1.12 + 2.1 = 3.23

I have the answer right, but only because I just kept plugging numbers and guessing.

Originally, I kept getting this wrong because I was using the total distance from air of the logo in water (3.2+1.5 = 4.7) as the actual distance, so I had d' = 4.7 (1/(1.33 +1.52), which was wrong.

What I don't get is why you can't use total distance of the logo from air (4.7) somehow to get the answer. Why is the distance of the logo in water only 1.5 and not 4.7? I'm probably missing something totally obvious or just overthinking it, but any insight would be welcome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
123456 said:
What I don't get is why you can't use total distance of the logo from air (4.7) somehow to get the answer. Why is the distance of the logo in water only 1.5 and not 4.7? I'm probably missing something totally obvious or just overthinking it, but any insight would be welcome. Thanks!
The two distances are subject to different weighting factors, so adding them together with no weighting factor cannot tell you anything useful.
The problem is analogous to driving some distance at one speed and another distance at a different speed, and asking how long the journey takes. Adding the two distances is not a useful operation.

Related to Perceived/actual distance (block of glass with logo in water)

1. What is perceived/actual distance?

Perceived/actual distance is a phenomenon where an object appears to be at a different distance than its actual physical distance due to the refraction of light through a medium, such as water or glass.

2. How does a block of glass with a logo in water demonstrate perceived/actual distance?

A block of glass with a logo in water acts as a visual example of perceived/actual distance because the refraction of light through the glass and water changes the perceived location of the logo, making it appear closer or farther away than its actual position.

3. What factors affect perceived/actual distance?

Perceived/actual distance can be affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the medium, and the thickness of the medium. These factors can alter the path of light and change the perceived location of an object.

4. How does the shape of the object affect perceived/actual distance?

The shape of an object can also play a role in perceived/actual distance. Objects with curved or irregular surfaces can cause light to bend and create distortions in perceived distance, making the object appear closer or farther away than it actually is.

5. Why is understanding perceived/actual distance important?

Understanding perceived/actual distance is important in various fields of science, such as optics and psychology. It can also have practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments or in the study of visual illusions.