1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percentage difference of two numbers?

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    I am doing a computer science course and one exercise is to show that two numbers are within 0.01% of each other.

The first step is to ask how one would define the percentage difference between two numbers?

I would define it as:
    [(larger number – smaller number)/ (|the number midway between the two numbers|)] * 100

I think this way is better compared with other ways such as

1. [(larger number – smaller number)/(|smaller number|)] *100
    2. [(larger number – smaller number)/(|larger number|)] * 100

Mainly because my way allows one to get the same percentage difference between for example, (4,6) and (-4,-6). While the other two ways does not.

Using 1.
    (6 – 4)/4 = 50%
    (-4 – -6)/|-6| = 33%

Using 2.
    (6 – 4)/6 = 33%
    (-4 – -6)/|-4| = 50%

Preferred Method.
    (6 – 4)/5 = 40%
    (-4 – -6)/|-5| = 40%

Do you have any other suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2
    Presumed that a, b are non-zero and both either positive or negative (at the same time). Then this should do it:

return (max(a,b)/min(a,b) <= 1.0001 && min(a,b)/max(a,b) >= 0.9999);
  4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    That was a good idea but in my case either a or b could be positive and negative so I could have (2,-3). So the way you suggested has problems with this case (otherwise it is more superior than my way). Do you have a better method to cope with this one positive, one negative case?
  5. Sep 16, 2005 #4
    A negative number can never lie within 0.01% of a positive number or vice versa. That just can't happen! So if (a,b) can be (2,-3) the problem don't make any sense! But you could try:

return (abs(max(a,b)/min(a,b)) <= 1.0001 && abs(min(a,b)/max(a,b)) >= 0.9999);

Note that before using this method you have to take care of the case where a or b equals 0. And why is that? Cause division with zero is undefined. If a equals 0 and b is non-zero they can't lie within 0.01% of eachother. But if a and b both equals 0 they will lie within eachother. So I'd use (instead of the one obove):

return (a == b || a != 0 && b != 0 && abs(max(a,b)/min(a,b)) <= 1.0001 && abs(min(a,b)/max(a,b)) >= 0.9999);

If a equals b it will stop there and return the value true (even for the case a=b=0). But if a does not equal b it will continue to check that a and b are non-zero. If someone of them are zero it will stop there and return the value false. If they are both non-zero it will simply continue to check if they are within 0.01% eachother.
    This way we don't have to use if/else.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?