1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Period of a Pendulum and moment of inertia

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A holiday ornament in the shape of a hollow sphere with mass 1.0×10−2 kg and radius 5.0×10−2 m is hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere. If the ornament is displaced a small distance and released, it swings back and forth as a physical pendulum. Calculate its period. (You can ignore friction at the pivot. The moment of inertia of the sphere about the pivot at the tree limb is (5/3)MR^2.)

2. Relevant equations

T = 2Pi*(sqrt(I/mgL))

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the only formula I know for the period, but the problem doesn't give the value of L. Is there another formula for the period?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're given enough info to figure out what L is. Think about what exactly L is defined as. It's the distance between what two points?

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    I think it is saying that it is not hanging. It is attached by a loop. Draw a loop around the limb and then draw the ornament attached to the loop.

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Quincy! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Then invent a formula! :wink:

Find the torque (moment) of the weight at a typical angle, and then use the formula τ = Iα to get an (approximately) shm equation. :smile:

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    Wouldn't you still need that distance for I?

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6
    Oops, I misread the problem, I was thinking it was attached to a wire with some length instead of a loop.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook