Period of Oscillation for a Standing Transverse Wave on a Flexible String

In summary, the standing transverse wave on a flexible string has a length of 1.52 m, a tension of 4.00 N, and a total mass of 10.81 g. The snapshot shows two troughs and two peaks, which is equivalent to 1.5 waves. The velocity is calculated to be 23.715m/s, and to find the period, the length of the string is divided by the number of waves, resulting in 0.0427s. However, there may be some confusion regarding the number of waves, as one end of the string may be at a peak while the other is at a trough, instead of both ends being at the "zero point".
collegegirl13
A snapshot of a standing transverse wave on a flexible string is taken when the displacement is at a maximum showing two trough's and two peaks(1.5 waves). The string is 1.52 m long with tension 4.00 N. The total mass of the string is 10.81 g. Find the period of the oscillation.

I found the velocity to be 23.715m/s
So then I took the length of the string and divided it by the number of waves which was 1.5 and I got 1.01333.
Then to find the period I divided the 1.01333 by 23.715 to get 0.0427s, but it isn't right I don't get what I am doing wrong help please...

Physics news on Phys.org
two trough's and two peaks(1.5 waves)

isn't "two troughs and two peaks 2 complete waves (not 1.5)?

It is 1.5 waves because from peak to peak is one wave

Your answer 0.0427s looks correct to me, if it is 1.5 wavelengths on the string.

Just to clarify something: is one end of the string right at a peak, and the other end right at a trough? Or is each end of the string at the "zero point" (neither a peak nor a trough)?

Related to Period of Oscillation for a Standing Transverse Wave on a Flexible String

1. What is the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation refers to the time it takes for one complete cycle of an oscillating motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating spring.

2. How is the period of oscillation calculated?

The period of oscillation is calculated using the formula T=2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant or the stiffness of the spring.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also influenced by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How does the period of oscillation relate to frequency?

The period of oscillation and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be expressed as f=1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects with a period of oscillation?

Some real-life examples of objects with a period of oscillation include a pendulum, a tuning fork, a swing, a spring, and a simple harmonic oscillator. The exact period of oscillation may vary depending on the specific conditions and factors affecting the object.