Permeability, permittivity and susceptibility

In summary, Griffiths and the teacher want to use \mu_{0}, where \mu_{0} = \dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{0}c^{2}}, while Feynman uses \mu=\dfrac{1}{\epsilon c^{2}}. Permittivity is related to the material response to an applied electric field. Permeability is related to the material response to a magnetic field. They do not share the same susceptibility and only in free space can you assume that the product of the two is equal to c^-2. Griffiths and the teacher are trying to use \mu_{0}, while Feynman is using \mu. However, according to
luitzen
I got a little confused of these three things by my teacher and Griffiths.

I am acquaintanced with Feynman's lectures on physics and what I get from there is [itex]\epsilon=\epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{0} = \left(1+\chi\right)\epsilon_{0}[/itex]

For some reason Griffiths, as well as my teacher, likes to use [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex], where [itex]\mu_{0} = \dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{0}c^{2}}[/itex].

Now I'd assume [itex]\mu=\dfrac{1}{\epsilon c^{2}}[/itex] and thus [itex]\mu=\dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{0}c^{2}} = \dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{r}}\mu_{0}=\left(1+\chi\right)^{-1}\mu_{0}[/itex]

But apparently (Wikipedia, Griffiths, etc.) [itex]\mu=\left(1+\chi\right)\mu_{0}[/itex]

So what should it be?

And why do they use [itex]\mu[/itex] at all? It seem rather inconvenient to me, since they keep writing stuff like [itex]\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}}[/itex] instead of c.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
\mu and \epsilon are different things. Permittivity is related to the material response to an applied electric field. Permeability is related to the material response to a magnetic field. They do not share the same susceptibility and only in free space can you assume that the product of the two is equal to c^-2.

Ok, thank you very much.

Then I think I'm going to stick with [itex]\mu[/itex] for the test and find out what it exactly means later.

Don't you find it beautiful that c is defined as the reciprocal of the square root of the product of two truly fundamental constants of nature?

That identity tells you what c is - it's the speed at which an electromagnetic wave can propagate through free space and it is governed only by the electrical permittivity and the magnetic permeability of free space.

I find it jaw dropping.

I always saw the speed of light as something that was just known and I thought that permeability was used because it showed up often with permittivity and physicists are lazy. Now I realize that permeability and permittivity are something entirely different. That doesn't mean I now understand what it means, but it's at least a start.

I just started reading a book "Space, time and relativity" by Engel Roza and now I also know that the speed of light was first determined, by Maxwell, using [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]

PS does anyone know why my TeX isn't displayed correctly in my first post? I can't find a mistake, but maybe someone else can.
PPS adding spaces did miracles.

Last edited:

1. What is permeability?

Permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be penetrated by a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol µ and is measured in units of henries per meter (H/m).

2. What is permittivity?

Permittivity is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

3. What is susceptibility?

Susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized when placed in a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol χ and is dimensionless.

4. How are permeability, permittivity, and susceptibility related?

Permeability, permittivity, and susceptibility are all physical properties of materials that describe their response to magnetic and electric fields. They are related through the fundamental equations of electromagnetism, which govern the behavior of these fields in matter.

5. Why are permeability, permittivity, and susceptibility important?

These properties are important for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and for designing and optimizing electronic devices. They are also crucial in fields such as materials science and geology, where they are used to characterize and study different types of materials.