Permutation Multiplication and Order of Permutations on 9 Elements

In summary, the group of permutations on 9 elements (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) can be understood as performing permutations on a set of 9 colored balls. The "multiplication" in this group is simply composing the permutations, and a power is obtained by composing the permutation with itself. The order of a permutation can be determined by repeatedly composing until the identity (1) is obtained. The identity refers to the permutation that does not change the position of any of the colored balls.
kevek
the group of permutations on 9 elements (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)

Can any I tell me how can I make a multiplication between permutations, and to take some power to permutations?
also, how can I show that determines the order of the permutation.

Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "multiplication" in the group is simply performing them after one another.
Take 9 colored balls. Permute the first and third one. Now permute the third and fifth one (note: by third one I mean the one in the third position, not the third ball which is not in the first position).
You have just composed the permutations (13) and (35). In effect, you have moved the first one to the fifth, the fifth one to the third and the third one to the first, so in cycle notation:
(35) o (13) = (153).
(where the composition o is to be read as: "after").

Then as in any group, a power is simply composing the permutation with itself, e.g.
(13)^2 = (13) o (13) = 1
(153)^2 = (153)(153) = (135)
and working out the order is simply composing until you get the identity, e.g.
(153)^3 = (135)(153) = 1

Thank you very much for your help.

can you please list some more example in this 9 colored balls please, I am not quite understand the basic thorey inside. I mean (35) after (13) = (351)?

and what is exactly mean of 'identity'

Related to Permutation Multiplication and Order of Permutations on 9 Elements

1. What is a permutation group problem?

A permutation group problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a group of objects that can be rearranged in different ways, or permutations, while still maintaining certain properties. These groups are often used in abstract algebra and can have applications in various fields such as cryptography and physics.

2. How do you approach solving a permutation group problem?

The first step in solving a permutation group problem is to understand the properties that need to be preserved among the different permutations. Then, one can use various techniques such as group theory, combinatorics, and algorithms to find the specific group of permutations that satisfies those properties.

3. What are some real-world examples of permutation group problems?

Permutation group problems can arise in many different contexts. One example is in cryptography, where the security of encryption algorithms relies on the difficulty of solving certain permutation group problems. Another example is in particle physics, where permutation groups are used to study the symmetries of particles and their interactions.

4. Can permutation group problems be solved efficiently?

The efficiency of solving permutation group problems depends on the specific problem and the techniques used. Some problems, such as finding the number of permutations in a group, can be solved in polynomial time, while others may require exponential time. In general, permutation group problems are considered difficult to solve, and efficient solutions are still an area of active research.

5. What are some common challenges in solving permutation group problems?

One of the main challenges in solving permutation group problems is the sheer size of the groups involved. As the number of objects in the group increases, the number of possible permutations grows exponentially, making it difficult to analyze and find solutions. Additionally, some problems may have multiple solutions or no solution at all, which can make the problem even more challenging to solve.